SD Cards

fotojack

If you're just shooting family pics and the pet in the back yard, you can get away with a Class4 card. The number determines the write speed of the card in megapixels. So, the higher the number, the faster the photo information gets written to the card from the cameras processor. Personally, I wouldn't use anything less than a Class 6.....but I prefer a Class 10 whenever possible. And I don't use anything bigger than an 8MP card. I'd rather lose an 8 gig card than a huge 16 or 32 gig card due to malfunction or loss or whatever.

If you're shooting video with your camera.....stick to a Class 10.

Geoffc

I must admit that I thought and seem to see that the biggest difference for stills is the transfer to the PC. If I take a burst at 7fps I think the camera buffer handles it. That said I use Sandisk extreme pro cards to avoid any bottlenecks.

For video the faster cards will certainly be better.

These days SD cards are cheap, unlike CF. the D300s that I use shoots both but I stick with SD and it works great.

I must admit I always get 16gb cards. If I was worried about data loss I would also use CF to back it up as I shoot.

stmv

after 10 years of using flash cards, have had zero fails (oh oh,, better knock on wood), and for me, the convenience of the larger cards outweigh the risk. If I was taking wedding pictures, then I would definitely own the later generation cameras with dual slots, and shoot in dual back up mode so if one card went bad, the backup would exists.

but shooting landscape and such, I prefer the larger cards, and now really love that with 32G cards, I can shoot all day,, and not have to swap cards, so nice.

now one habit I do have is I dump the images after EVERY shoot, and personally, I use the camera to connect the computer, and do not take in and out the cards, The less handling the better.

on speed, read the fine print of the transfer rate of the camera versus the card. No use buying a super expensive card that exceeds the ability of the camera to read and write. I buy 60 Mb/sec cards personally. I keep an eye out for sells, and find the deals.

Last edited: