Hope You Like Drag Racing

Stangman98

I am shooting 3 races in the next 5 or 6 weeks. One local, one in Georgia, and one in Mississippi. Should have plenty of photos to show ya.

KWJams

Looking forward to your shots. :cool:Here is a shot I snagged from pro photographer Mark Sharley on facebook that just is out of the park!!!Not sure what he is shooting with as far as glass or camera -- but to capture waves from the heat off the exhaust blows my mind!I am too timid to ask him. But what the heck would it take to make a capture like this?

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Here in Tulsa we have a first class 1/4 mile track. All they do now is race 1/8 mile which is about enough length to fart. Drag racing used to be cool now it sucks with all this eight mile crap. Hopefully you'll get to see some quarter mile action!

Eye-level

Banned
Looking forward to your shots. :cool:

Here is a shot I snagged from pro photographer Mark Sharley on facebook that just is out of the park!!!

Not sure what he is shooting with as far as glass or camera -- but to capture waves from the heat off the exhaust blows my mind!
I am too timid to ask him. But what the heck would it take to make a capture like this?
View attachment 16658

Any old nitro dragster would do it.

KWJams

I mean the picture. Low light --- super fast speed --- great bokeh --- sharp focus --- and VAPORS!

What kind of set up and gear would it take to make the capture -- not what makes the waves.

Stangman98

Here in Tulsa we have a first class 1/4 mile track. All they do now is race 1/8 mile which is about enough length to fart. Drag racing used to be cool now it sucks with all this eight mile crap. Hopefully you'll get to see some quarter mile action!

All that I am shooting is 1/8th mile. You would be shocked how many great shots you can get in 1/8th mile stuff because there is no time to run it out the back end

Eye-level

Banned
A fast tele would work. That dragster is probably not going that fast at that point in the picture.

Bullet.JPG

008.MPG

Last edited:

KWJams

How fast of glass would you say?

I am having trouble wrapping my head around a camera able to capture heat waves. It would be like capturing a mirage in the desert I would think and am not sure if that is possible??? Is it??

Eye-level

Banned
How fast of glass would you say?

I am having trouble wrapping my head around a camera able to capture heat waves. It would be like capturing a mirage in the desert I would think and am not sure if that is possible??? Is it??

If he is pro he using something around 2.8 I would guess. Nitro methane is some particulary nasty stuff I imagine it would show up very easily.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Looking forward to your shots. :cool:

Here is a shot I snagged from pro photographer Mark Sharley on facebook that just is out of the park!!!

Not sure what he is shooting with as far as glass or camera -- but to capture waves from the heat off the exhaust blows my mind!
I am too timid to ask him. But what the heck would it take to make a capture like this?
View attachment 16658

It looks quite a bit like the CS5 Distort>frosted glass filter to me, applied in a new layer and then masked. I might be wrong, but to me it looks like it.

KWJams

That would be a buzz kill if it is Marcel,,,, it would explain it,, but it sure is fun imagining what it would feel like to be able to be confident enough in your set up to make such an awesome capture with out a bunch of post editing.

I just did a quick google image search for mirage heat waves and found this example --> NTM2010 F-16C throttle to full military and afterburner litt | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
So maybe it is a legitimate shot and not a shopped one.

nick9

You ever stood next to a nitro methane car sir? Your nose will start running and your eyes will start burning. Fumes deluxe.

Took my daughters to Friday qualifying at 4-wide nationals earlier this year and we hit the pits to let the girls see some drivers and crews in action. They decided to wait in line for Courtney Force's autograph.
Courtney comes wheeling in and jumps out of an ATV and into her TRAXXAS Funny Car. She starts putting on a gas mask. 8 or 10 guys come running up around us with gas masks on. I'm starting to wonder what is a fixin to befall us.
When they fired that thing up it was exciting and the feel of the power was absolutely unbelievable. But when the nitromethane exhaust hit my eyes and lungs I wondered what in the world was I doing. I toughed it out as long as I physically could and grabbed both daughters and started dragging myself.....I mean, dragging them to safety. Through all the tears, coughing, gasping for air, and high pitched screams, I heard my daughters telling me to calm down that I was embarrassing them!
I honestly loved the experience and would like to go back again. If we do make it to the 4-wides next year, we will be the dad and daughters in the matching gas masks!