Opinions on the Nikon Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VR DX ED G Lens

TedG954

It appears that this lens would replace both 18-55 and 55-200 lens that I now have. Is anybody using this lens and how do you like it?

Thanks in advance. :confused:

grandpaw

I have this lens and have taken many pictures with it and really like the ability to take just about anything with this one lens. I have printed and sold several 20x30 inch prints with this lens. Jeff

silvercreek

I guess I had visions of grandeur. I wasn't overly impressed with my AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm lens. I may be shopping for an AF-S 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VR DX ED G lens.

Last edited:

§am

I hired one last year and loved it, but just can't justify the price tag on it at the moment.
What is interesting though is the 18-300mm new to the market :)

Now there's a lens plus some :)
(And even more out of my monetary reach :( )

silvercreek

What is interesting though is the 18-300mm new to the market :)

Now there's a lens plus some :)
(And even more out of my monetary reach :( )

I'll learn to do my homework before buy lenses from now on. I just bought an AF-S 70-300mm lens and should have waited and saved for the new 18-300mm lens.

Eye-level

Banned
I'll learn to do my homework before buy lenses from now on. I just bought an AF-S 70-300mm lens and should have waited and saved for the new 18-300mm lens.

Oh I don't know...seems like the reviews like the performance of the 70-300 except she is a little soft at 300 which is gonna happen with such a lens. Sounds like an excellent daylight walk around unit to me.

I have always read good things about the 18-200.

grandpaw

I hope all of the 18-200mm lenses don' t do this.

Nikon 18-200mm VR lens issue - YouTube

It says that he beat the tar out of this lens for the last four years and if you look at the picture has it taped together so why would you worry about the quality of the lens when he gives it this kind of use. I have the 18-200VR and have taken thousands of pictures over the last almost five years and it works flawlessly. From his description of how he takes care of it and the way it looks, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Jeff

silvercreek

It says that he beat the tar out of this lens for the last four years and if you look at the picture has it taped together so why would you worry about the quality of the lens when he gives it this kind of use. I have the 18-200VR and have taken thousands of pictures over the last almost five years and it works flawlessly. From his description of how he takes care of it and the way it looks, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Jeff

I watched the video twice all of the way through and didn'thear anything about beating the tar out of this lens for the last four years.Where does it say that? He does seem to be a bit obsessed with making the lensmess up. There’s no telling how long the lens has been messed up.

grandpaw

I watched the video twice all of the way through and didn'thear anything about beating the tar out of this lens for the last four years.Where does it say that? He does seem to be a bit obsessed with making the lensmess up. There’s no telling how long the lens has been messed up.

Try reading what he wrote below the video. The only way to hear it is to read it out loud! LOL Jeff

e_t_o

It appears that this lens would replace both 18-55 and 55-200 lens that I now have. Is anybody using this lens and how do you like it?

I've had some experience with this lens, and it has good performance. I've noticed one flaw; when pointing the lens downwards it tends to zoom. There is not enough resistance in the zoom mechanism, so gravity automatically adjusts the zoom position...

Dave_W

The Dude

I wouldn't trade the 70-300mm for the 18-300mm even if they paid me. The 70-300mm is far a superior lens and not even in the same category, IMO.

stmv

I have owned two copies of this lens. One I dropped at a museum, and replaced. I did fix the broken one, so,, don't automatically throw a broken lens away. Typically, the cost to fix is about 1/3 the price of the orginal.

I found the 18-200 to be the practical lens. Took lots of nice shots with the lens, and as long as one is not rough, can expect decent life.

Definitely more convenient to have the one lens. almost makes the SLR a point and shoot.

for casual shooters who don't want to be bothered taking on and off lens, I recommend this lens.

Maybe the 18-300 is even a better choice, but would have to tradeoff size to extended range.

My wife uses my 18-200 lens on my old D80. On my D7000, I use the 18-55 and the 55-300 as my casual walkaround camera. I find newest 18-55 to be sharper then the 18-200, and the 55-300 to have better reach, with no sacrifice of quality over the 18-200. I bought the 18-55 for like 140 dollars, and a gray market versio of the 55-300 for 250 dollars, so really low investment. cheaper then the 18-200, and I really like the smaller form factor of the 18-55 over the 18-200, and switch to the longer zoom when needed (wear it with a lens pouch on the belt).

Last edited:

§am

I've noticed one flaw; when pointing the lens downwards it tends to zoom. There is not enough resistance in the zoom mechanism, so gravity automatically adjusts the zoom position...

I noticed that too when I used this lens last year - but I'm now led to believe that the v2 lens does not suffer from this anymore :)