Nikon D-800 bugs worked out

BooBoos

I am thinking about purchasing a D-800.Was in my local camera store this past week and soemone returned a D-800 he purchased last week and said it has focus issues. How long do these kinds of things take before nikon sends out new cameras with all the bugs worked out.Is there a certain set of serial numbers that will tell me its a newly manufactured body.I really dont want to spend that kind of money and have to send it back to nikon for problems it should of never left with.Any guidance as always is greatly appreciated.

stmv

well,,, I would avoid open box D800s,, try to get sealed clean units, I was lucky and my camera was fine, but, you can be sure that Nikon is working on this issue as it has really really hurt their reputation, and actually having a dent on acceptance., a real shame for such a fine camera. A friend of mine just got his, glad to report that it was also A OK.

Sambr

I have the D800 no issues sharp as a tack - The difference in IQ(which is ever so slight) and extra $$$ & wait for the D800E didn't make sense to me. No regrets. Love my D800 :)

Photowyzard

I am thinking about purchasing a D-800.Was in my local camera store this past week and soemone returned a D-800 he purchased last week and said it has focus issues. How long do these kinds of things take before nikon sends out new cameras with all the bugs worked out.Is there a certain set of serial numbers that will tell me its a newly manufactured body.I really dont want to spend that kind of money and have to send it back to nikon for problems it should of never left with.Any guidance as always is greatly appreciated.

Generally, when I read these types of posts on OPEN FORUMS, I get very snarky. My reason for getting snarky is that generally, these types of posts are made by schills or trolls in those forums looking for any excuse to bring down an excellent product. I know that is not the case here, so let me go into an explanation.

It is very likely, Nikon has stopped shipping cameras with the Left Focus issue. There could be any one of a number of circumstances to why this happened.

a) he got a camera like this and never noticed. Most likely, this is the main reason. Or, he lived with it until he decided to return it.

b) this was older stock that got sold and he was unfortunate enough to get one with the issue.

c) one snuck by QC. It happens. They are making and selling these like hot cakes at a hot cake convention.

Regardless, of what the circumstances are, this is a really, really small, moot issue. The left focus issue is ONE FOCUS POINT of 51 on the very top left corner that doesn't focus properly. The rest of the camera is 100%. This left focus point didn't get calibrated properly. You would never notice it until you use that one point.

Nikon fixes these issues almost as fast as you send the camera in. You could be a couple of days to a week without it at most. It is no big deal!

If this is a big DEAL, go buy a Canon. See if you like one of their cameras better than the current reigning king of photography!

See my folder I just posted on how sharp the D800 is when you get a minute, then go buy and UNOPENED BOX, brand new, D800.

Mine came working 100% and it is the best piece of photographic equipment I have ever owned in 35 years. This left focus thing is no longer an issue, Nikon acknowledged it, I spoke to them, it is simply a calibration issue and it should be resolved without fuss.

There were indeed issues when the camera first came out, that is history and just bad luck if you get one like this today. Chances are... you won't.

Last edited: