Purchase Help!

Jerseyjoe

Hi everyone I am new here and need some help. I am interested in the D7000. I have been using a Panasonic FZ30 the past couple of years. I don't know if I should get a D7000 now the prices are great or wait and see if they come out with a D7xxx. I am also considering the D300s. My budget is $2000 thanks for any advice Jerseyjoe

Dave_W

The Dude
The price of the D7000 just came down a month or so ago so I doubt it'll go much lower. And there are not any rumors of a D7xxx and rumors usually come out a good 6 to 9 months ahead of release so I don't think there'll be an update any time soon.

The D7k is an excellent camera so you can't really go wrong picking one up now.

Jerseyjoe

Thanks for the help. I have been online today and for my budget I can get an awesome kit. You guys are right why wait for the next best thing,when the best is right there. I am ordering it today Thanks Jerseyjoe

eurotrash

I personally went ahead and bought a D7K a few weeks ago. I got sick of waiting, and I don't see how it could be any better than the slightly upgraded D7000 that just came out named the D600. (save that whole FX portion of course, lol)

Tami Jo

Jerseyjoe

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ordered the D7000 yesterday, can't wait to get it. I treated myself and ordered the Nikon 35mm 1.8! Can't wait to post pictures for you guys. Thanks again jerseyjoe

stmv

super,,, enjoy your purchase! and if you got tht kit one with the 18-55 is not a bad lens either for walkaround.

T.Behuniak

D300/D300s is better, there is a reason it costs more than the D7000. Plus you can pick up a used one cheaper. The build quality is better, its more professional camera. Unless you want video or think 4 added MP is better, than sure, the D7000 will do you good, no doubt about that. But the D300/D300s is still one of the best cameras Nikon has put out. I'm not saying the D7000 was a bad choice, I did want one for a while and I bet you will love it, I'm just saying, I believe the D300/D300s is overall better camera. (unless video is your thing)

Eye-level

Banned
D300/D300s is better, there is a reason it costs more than the D7000. Plus you can pick up a used one cheaper. The build quality is better, its more professional camera. Unless you want video or think 4 added MP is better, than sure, the D7000 will do you good, no doubt about that. But the D300/D300s is still one of the best cameras Nikon has put out. I'm not saying the D7000 was a bad choice, I did want one for a while and I bet you will love it, I'm just saying, I believe the D300/D300s is overall better camera. (unless video is your thing)

I agree with you to a certain extent...it is better if you are going to be making tons of snaps everyday and beating the heck out of the camera like a PJ would do. For the casual/amateur shooter like myself however I think the D7000 is a better fit and it will take a lot of abuse also and it has better DR than the 300.

T.Behuniak

Yes you are absolutely correct. The camera is best for whatever you need it for, and how you are going to use it. It's also "what ever floats your boat" :) Have fun with the D7000, put it to good use!

Dave_W

The Dude
Given that the D300(s) has the older EXPEED processor and both have the same magnesium alloy frame, I'm going to stick by my belief that the D300 isn't any better than the D7000. Equivalent perhaps, but better...I'm going to have to say no.