Telephoto AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 IF Autofocus lens

DaveKoontz

I've been waiting for the introduction of Nikon's new 85mm f1.4 lens to be released. Finally found it on the B & H site .... that's the good news! The bad news is that I will have to earn a few gazillion dollars to pay for it. The list for the imported version is
$1074.95 (USD) and the USA version is $1224.95 (USD). The price is a little over a third of what i thought it would cost. There is another manufacturer named "Bower" that has a f1.4 for just a few hundred dollars ... anybody know anything about the mfg, and the quality of their lenses???

torgo

I've been waiting for the introduction of Nikon's new 85mm f1.4 lens to be released. Finally found it on the B & H site .... that's the good news! The bad news is that I will have to earn a few gazillion dollars to pay for it. The list for the imported version is
$1074.95 (USD) and the USA version is $1224.95 (USD). The price is a little over a third of what i thought it would cost. There is another manufacturer named "Bower" that has a f1.4 for just a few hundred dollars ... anybody know anything about the mfg, and the quality of their lenses???
Just by coincidence, it looks like the Nikon Glass blog has a mini-review of this lens that went up recently (they call it the SamYang lens, but according to the article, Bower is one of the brands that it's distributed under).

It looks like the Nikon Glass guy liked it a lot.

Ruidoso Bill

I have been looking at the Rokinon, 250 +/- on ebay. I need to read a little more but they have one with a chip for nikon metering. Manual focus only.

Last edited:

DaveKoontz

Great article Torgo, thanks for the information. As you said, it looks like the Nikon guy liked it and the pricing. It certainly gives us another option, and for a much cheaper price. Thanks again!

Dave