Shutter speed vs. EV

Dave_W

The Dude
Does anyone have a firm understanding of EV vs. shutter speed adjustments? I know the end result of increasing shutter speed or decreasing EV produces the same effect but what is actually taking place inside the camera? Is EV adjustments more or less a change in the ISO where as adjusting the shutter speed is just that, adjusting the shutter speed?

Eye-level

Banned
You have to know your EV stuff pretty good to do sunny 16 effectively. I'll try to explain...I know that with ISO 125 and shutter speed of 125 on a sunny day it will require f/16. The EV in this case would be 15. ISO 250 shutter speed 250 f/16 EV is one stop value in this case is 16 EV.

Now what uses EV...your meter uses EV it is an old system actually known as guess what? Exposure Value System.
I use EV because I know that outside in the sun at 125 EV is 15. Indoors under a bulb it is 9-11 depending on how many and what kind of bulb. Candlelit room is 3 I think but I don't tend to shoot in candle lit rooms so I am not sure about that. Intense bright light at the beach in the tropics the snow etc is usually way up there at 20.

This is how I select aperture value and shutter speed when I use my F2 meterless camera and it has become so second nature to me that I do it with my digital camera with every camera I hold. :)

Eye-level

Banned
This may be helpful to get a good basic understanding of the topic. Nice review for me too. Excellent thread MD. I love the fundamentals. It is a very good thing to get back to the basics. Aperture shutter speed EV and ISO...it is like good old blocking and tackling in football...if you do it well you are successful!

Ultimate Exposure Computer

Last edited: