Exposure Compensation

D70S

Can anyone explain this to me?(On aperture priority) I've seen a tutorial for it, and I know that if I tune it, shutter speed decreases or increases, and the image gets lighter or darker depending on the settings. So i Know what it does, but I am still confused.

Dave_W

The Dude
The way I understand it is the EV can be moved + or - to increase/decrease exposure. But my question is whether there's a difference between EV vs. increasing/decreasing shutter speed. Does anyone know whether the two are different or not?

stmv

well,, one is a manual step, versus the second is an automatic step, so,, even though the light meter is happy, the auto step will exposure at a different shutter speed than what would have been the calculated one, versus looking thru the camera and in manual mode, applying the compensation and viewing the light meter bar + or - depending upon the direction. Personally, I prefer to manually control the exposure versus depending upon the auto compensation, because then I forget to change it back, and next time out, under or overexpose a picture (just like when I forget to turn off bracketing).

Pierro

Dave, you can't change shutter speed when using Ap priority, so EV +/- is damn useful if you have the need to increase/decrease shutter speed for certain shots.

I think i used EV in my last cloud photos, as i knew the camera was going to meter for the bright sky, but i didnt want it bright, i wanted it darker, so just dialled in some to increase SS, and got my desired shot

stmv

still seems easier to shoot in manual, and then compenasate if you need to by looking at the light meter, take control of your shooting,, simpler and easier.

D70S

ok, that explains it, thnx. i use Manuel mode most of the time anyways, so i guess i wont be using this much.

Dave_W

The Dude
Dave, you can't change shutter speed when using Ap priority, so EV +/- is damn useful if you have the need to increase/decrease shutter speed for certain shots.

I think i used EV in my last cloud photos, as i knew the camera was going to meter for the bright sky, but i didnt want it bright, i wanted it darker, so just dialled in some to increase SS, and got my desired shot

So is EV different or the same as adjusting the shutter speed? I know the end result seems the same but sometimes I wonder if EV adjustment is more of an ISO adjustment where as shutter speed is, well, shutter speed. I guess I don't know or understand exactly what EV is. Maybe I should start a new thread with this question.

Mike150

I've been meaning to ask a similar question.
Saturday I have the opportunity to attend my first real airshow. Weather is going to be mostly sunny, but possibly cloudy with a chance of scattered showers (At least that's what the weatherman is saying).

If I'm in Shutter or Aperture priority, (I'll have to play early on to see what works best). I assume the camera will meter for the brightness of the sky, leaving the aircraft dark and underexposed. Because of this I am guessing I need to set Exposure Comp to a Plus value. If I'm right, please tell me... If I'm totally off base, tell me what I need to do.
Thanks

Eye-level

Banned
MD...compensation and EV are two different animals...at least to me. :)

D70S...I haven't met you yet but it is nice to meet you...I am Jeff...and yes white balance matters...it is kind of like film in a way you use different films for different types of light just like you use different white balances for different types of light...not only does it matter it is crucial to what your snaps look like and feel like.

Mike...here it is in a nutshell... Exposure compensation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I don't do airshows or at least I never have but I think I would use shutter priority and let the camera adjust with the aperture depending on whether I wanted to freeze the action and the angles of approach of the subject or whether it is flying parallel or perpendicular to me...and remember you can pan too!

Personally I never use exposure compensation unless I have a camera with a built in meter that is off.

Everybody learn to chimp and use your histograms if you want to get good exposures...learn the light and EV too...you do not have to rely on your camera to decide for you...it is not easy but it is not hard either you just have to practice it...you are smart enough to do it I promise and maybe even smarter than your camera even with it's high tech processor! :)

KWJams

Not that I know what I am talking about or anything like that --- but most of these situations can be adjusted / corrected in just about any decent post editing program.

Histrogram is what I look at and zoom in the image preview to see how crisp the smaller details are and then adjust if needed for the best picture possible right out of the camera.

D70S

I'm Matt, and how would I use WB? I know you can take a picture of a card and apply it to the picture, but I dont get it

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm Matt, and how would I use WB? I know you can take a picture of a card and apply it to the picture, but I dont get it

White balance is simply the camera determining what in a scene should be considered "white" and then to base the rest of the colors against that determination. Typically the auto white balance will be fairly close but you can adjust it both in and out of the camera. The 18% gray card is another way of telling the camera what to set the white balance but that's a little more of a specialized application. When you change the scene dial on your camera from cloudy to sunny you're really just changing the white balance, which is sometimes considered "temperature".