Is anyone pre-ordering D600?

PapaST

I got my email from Adorama about pre-ordering and it made me wonder if anyone here was going to pre-order theirs? I fit into the category of a DX user that would like to try an FX camera. I'm very satisfied with my D7000 so I'm not in a rush to move to the D600. But I might try to pre-order now if the availability of this camera during the Holidays is projected to be scarce/non-existent.

How about first release glitches? Is anyone holding off to allow for any first release glitches to get smoothed out?

Rick M

My local dealer seems to get new stuff as fast as online retailers, so I'm gonna check it out in person and decide from there.

AC016

Personally, i would wait until the first in-depth reviews. Let's not forget the issues Nikon had with the D7k and the D800. Of course, if everyone waited, Nikon would not sell any.... someone has to be the guinea pig.

Rick M

I have to consider how much I could get for all my Dx glass before I make the leap, if I can get over the size/weight.

aZuMi

AF2AA29B-6A00-4814-A82D-A5BC082B01BE-2422-00000300CFE7D5F0.jpg

Just pre-ordered mine :)
Can't wait to upgrade my D90!

Phillydog1958

Wow! On another Nikon forum, they're doing a lot of posting about the D600, many of which are critical of the D600's price point. They're feeling that the camera should be priced at just under $2,000. Some feel that there will be a sudden price drop, due to slow sales at the current price. Also, some are complaining about higher prices in various parts of Europe. Interesting stuff . . . We shall see . . .

Just-Clayton

I will have to save up a little while. Maybe sell my 3100 to add to it. Hopefully by next year if my budget will let me. I would love the full frame and have the 300s as back up.

Rick M

I think its kinda funny that many are upset about the price. If Nikon priced based on rumors they wouldn't be around, I shouldn't be amazed how many stupid people are posting stuff like that but I am. They are mad at nikon because they cant afford it? This is the entitlement based society we are creating with decades of government handouts.

As far as overseas prices, I think they will level off after currency exchanges are properly accounted for. There may be tariffs and fees we are unaware of.

Last edited:

Just-Clayton

I wouldnt jump in right away anyway. There are always problems. Let the problems get fixed and prices go down before I buy. I have no complaints getting my 300s refurbished.

Rick M

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think they are ready for demand. I don't think we'll see a repeat of the D800 supply issues.

aZuMi

That's what happens with so many rumors, false truths are made and perceptions are altered. If people don't want it because of the price and not within the rumors, then that's their fault for the falsified truth.

IMO, $2,100 is a fair price. KR estimated $2,400 and my question before was with the assumption of $2,400. This FF body has a lot of very nice features and excellent value for its price point.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Just look at the price of the Canon 5D Mk3 and compare it with the D600. The D600 will save you $1,400.

I think the price is reasonable for a full frame. It is the cheapest new full frame DSLR around (for now).

Back to topic. No plan on getting another FX camera. I am quite happy with my D800E.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
If anyone plans on getting it from Amazon please use the affiliate link above. I would like to use proceeds to put in a fund for a new photo contest. :)

PapaST

I think I'm going to wait to get some real feedback on operation and the kit lens. Hopefully around the Holidays it will be available and some type of savings. I see the Nikon grip can be pre-ordered also for $275. Not bad at all.