yahoo! Nikon Cements its SLR lineup

stmv

what an enticing package, finnally a lightweight FX SLR, very reasonable price, and I am sure awesome image quality.

most of the compromise are reasonable to the pro cameras, essentially a lower quality shutter for 150K, slower max shutter speed, slow flash sync,, less af points, less light sensors for sensitivity, and less bracket depth.

So,, the camera really is a D7000 full frame, and hence the name reduction from a D700 to D600 is right, is less of a camera then the D700 which really is closer to the D800 in features/quality.

I am very interested on how it compares in noise, versus the D800. The D800 matches the D700, so the big question, did the D600 exceed the D700 in noise sensitivity.

I am disappointed that no USB3, I have the D800, and really appreciate the USB3 for uploading those larger files.

The faster Frames per second places it closer to the D700, so sport or active scene photographers will appreciate, but one question will be the buffer depth.

I don't see D700 users switching to the D600 unless they really desire video,, on the other hand, new users or DX users that want to switch to FX, an excellent choice for use of broad set of lens. So, I do not see D700 users dumping their cameras for the D600 and so,, I suspect the loved D700 is going to continue to retain their value. And the price is not low enough to kill the D7000 or D7000 follow on.

so.. strengths:
view finder,
sensor depth
processing speeds
weight, small
cost (reasonable)
video!
dual memory slots
Maintain 100% lens compatiblity - manual lens, slotted af lens, G lens, etc
decent weather sealing
and more,,, lots of reviews out there for this.

weaknesses.
bracket depth
USB 2 versus 3
exposure sensitivity

So,, if you want a more pro level camera, save up 1/3 for the D800. If you want faster frame per second, and are price sensitive then better get your order in,, I bet these will be sold out for a long time.