Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f1.4G Camera Lens

Billy Y.

So when I bought my D800 - I traded my D7000 and 17-55 2.8 DX lens in to B&H for a $1300 dollar credit. I told myself I wouldn't cash that in until there was a used 85 in that price range and guess what... today was that day. An excellent condition 85 f1.4 G showed up in my used search this morning for just an extra $50 over my credit. I am super excited to have this lens, I have been waiting a long time to have one. Now the only thing I really want is the 300 F4 - or something longer and just as sharp for the same price. :)

Stay tuned for first pics....

Ruidoso Bill

I am in line in front of you on that 300 just waiting for the dust to settle on the d800, have you noticed anyone with the name bill y is an above average photog...lol

gqtuazon

Gear Head
So when I bought my D800 - I traded my D7000 and 17-55 2.8 DX lens in to B&H for a $1300 dollar credit. I told myself I wouldn't cash that in until there was a used 85 in that price range and guess what... today was that day. An excellent condition 85 f1.4 G showed up in my used search this morning for just an extra $50 over my credit. I am super excited to have this lens, I have been waiting a long time to have one. Now the only thing I really want is the 300 F4 - or something longer and just as sharp for the same price. :)

Stay tuned for first pics....

I'm not sure if that was a good deal but I guess it was fair enough. Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 depending on the condition can get you around $900. D7000 will be around $800 -$900.

Congrats on the lens anyway.

Billy Y.

Yeah, but my 17-55 had a broken hood, and my D7000 was working fine but a some corner scuffs. I tried locally for a bit to make a sale and then just decided to trade and be done.

Eye-level

Banned
Very cool sir. You should try and find the post I made with a link to an European forum thread about the 85...some of the best portrait shots I have ever seen.

Billy Y.

It is here and i love it, some folks posted at Fred Miranda that they where unhappy with sharpness at F1.4, but either they got a bad copy or just didn't do it right - because this lens is awesome at 1.4

DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0608.jpg

DSC_0594.jpg

DSC_0601.jpg

It is lighter than I thought, It actually doesn't feel like metal, but Nikon claims it is (magnesium i think i read) light is nice - but there is something to be said for how my 17-35 F2.8 feels, I mean you can "feel" it is built well. Weight aside the 1.4 is built well - very nice lens.

Billy Y.

Thanks Sam,
I have to say it's kind of a trade off, those D lenses have such a nice feel and function to them, I supose lighter is a nice feature it just isn't what i am used to in a "pro" lens. It probably won't be long before lens housing is carbon fiber of something - then it will cost even more and feel like a toy... lol