Nikon Capture NX2

Eltari

How about a dedicated forum to this bit of software. It's Nikon made and very useful. If you are interested in hi key portraiture, it is very easy to achieve a 255 white backdrop while keeping your shadows nicely

DaveKoontz

I guess that I could research on my own, but I'll ask first: Is NX2 compatible with MAC? What are the positive/negative features? And, how does it compare with PhotoShop Elements and/or Aperture 3? Any input would be appreciated.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Is NX2 compatible with MAC? What are the positive/negative features? And, how does it compare with PhotoShop Elements and/or Aperture 3? Any input would be appreciated.

There is a version of NX2 for the Mac. It is painfully slow on both the Mac and Windows platforms. I do like it's ability to use some Nikon settings on RAW files. Besides the speed, my biggest complaint is regarding support. Nikon (actually Nik Software for Nikon) is always late supporting operating system upgrades. It still does not officially support Snow Leopard on the Mac or Windows 7 on the PC - and forget about 64-bit. So when you look at $179 for Capture NX2, $279 for Lightroom (on Amazon) or $159 for Aperture (also on Amazon) I think the decision is easy to NOT use Capture NX2. And don't forget that Lightroom is licensed to be installed on 2 computers (e.g. desktop and laptop) which makes it even a sweeter deal.

DaveKoontz

Thanks Eduard, I think that I'll stick with my Aperture 3 and PhotoShop Elements 6 combo. Good workflow and they meet my editing needs (especially with the plug-ins). Thanks for your advice.

Dave