The Full Story on Batteries and the D7000 Vertical Grip

I have two D7000 to play with and 10s of thousands of shots on them so this is well tested.
Using NimH...This is a no go .the latest firmware cuts out the battery at 7.5v and as we know these give there main discharge at around 7.2v..very poor performance about 50 shots.
Using EN-EL 15 A ...dont waste your money..it might be 4200mAh but it has no chip to send the coded signal to the camera so its not recognised .You have to set at NimH and again it cuts out very early.Check this out 7.4V 4200 mAh EN-EL15A Battery For NIKON MB-D11 D7000 | eBay
Using AA Alkaline/lithium ...This works fine as a back up .I have not pushed it beyone 350 shots and the batteies showed 1/2 charged on the gauge.
Using EN EL 15 ... You can only get this is genuine nikon and it has the chip so the display automatically shows that a EN EL 15 is in the grip. Works perfectly and by the way shows 0% at 5.5v. Why use it ? Well those lithium ion batteries may be great but you get no warning of failure and the little bar gauge can go from new to red 4 ! without warning.

Hope this is of help to someone.w

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've already learned my lessons on generic camera batteries. Never again.

I use my reliable Sanyo Eneloop batteries for my flash. They are good back-up for the battery grip but too heavy if you put 8 AA batteries together. You don't get any added FPS anyway.

There is no problem with generics for the D90 En EL-3 or the cheapo EL EN 14 designed for the P7000 these are good in a grip on a D5100/3100 or D3200.

Its the latest version of the firmware for the D7000 that has caused the NimH to be a problem.

one of the problems with the first version was that it was showing wrong battery levels ..it now seems the changes have made NimH unusable.