Advice on SB-600 deal

eurotrash

I have an opportunity to pick up a slightly used SB-600 for $170us. Should I do it?

I'm really only looking to use off camera flash with my D7K for creative stuff and possibly some portrait work. I just want to know the limitations before buying.

Should I buy this or look towards the SB-700 instead?

eurotrash

I just don't see value in the 700 to be honest. What's different about it vs. the 600? About $200 is what I see. I could be wrong, but I've not had an opportunity to play with flashes at all.

eurotrash

I might spring for a 700 at some point too, no doubt. But do you guys think the 600 will get me through? I just don't want to relive that experience I had with outgrowing the 5100 too quickly and having to invest in the camera I originally wanted..

Phillydog1958

If it's a money issue, go with the SB600. $170 isn't bad. I hear that they're going for a bit more, when new. I'd get that and eventually buy a SB700. I use both of mine with Nikon's off-camera Creative Lighting System. Nikon, for some reason, made the Guide Number higher on the SB600. You would think that the SB700 would be the more powerful of the 2. The SB600 tops out at GN 30 and the SB700 is only 28. You can't tell the difference, but it makes you wonder why they did that.

Last edited:

eurotrash

Cool, I know it's a pretty good deal, and I want to start using flash right away anyways. I have a friends wedding that I was asked to shoot. It's not going to be super huge so I don't feel like I need anything larger than the 600 for it.
I'll likely buy the 700 when it drops in price as well. Thanks so much for the information!

So the 600 lacks these features compared to the 700:
Can't be used as a wireless master.
No sensor size detection.
No bounce card built in
Doesn't do SU-4.

I think the only hold back for me, is that it doesn't do SU-4. Potentially in the future this could be limiting but I just can't say that quite yet.. Oh, and obviously the potentially more confusing UI on the thing. Which dang, I might hate. But I think for the price, and what I'm trying to do, it might be worth the hassle.

Last edited:

simonhodge

Sounds like a good deal. At the end of the day it is a nikon speedlight and it is good even if it isnt the newest. Once you try it out you may want to try and get a used 900 or 800 and the 600 will always work well with it. I know for my first speedlight to go with my Sony i bought a cheap one. It was better than the pop-up unit but not much. This time i went a bit mad and bought a 910. Its fantastic but its also flippin huge! I would say you cant go far wrong with the 600. A brilliant place to start.

fotojack

Yeah, it is a good deal, but that user interface is a killer. But.....if you're just going to use it as fill flash or something non critical, then I'd say go for it. When the time comes, you're going to LOVE the SB-700! Fantastic flash, in my not so humble opinion! :)

Phillydog1958

Yeah, it is a good deal, but that user interface is a killer. But.....if you're just going to use it as fill flash or something non critical, then I'd say go for it. When the time comes, you're going to LOVE the SB-700! Fantastic flash, in my not so humble opinion! :)

Jack's right.

miknoypinoy

sb700 all the way. we'll always be found "wanting" but the 700 will keep you at bay for a long time. even though that's a pretty good deal on the 600, you'll find your self wanting that extra "edge" (interface ease, bounce card etc). . .

I love my 700 though at times I wonder if I should spend the coin on a 910. again that's just NAS lol. .

if you got money for both, that'd be nice.
if you want to play around with the 600 then go for it and pick up the 700 shortly after and have more fun with cls.
but if funds are low and you can only get one for a longer period of time, I'd get the 700.

it's up to you. either way you'd be ok though I believe. nothing like bounced flash of a ceiling for indoor shots. just brings your photos to life. lol.

good luck on your decision.

I'm not afraid . . . YOU WILL BE. . . YOU WILL BE. . .

Fred Kingston

If you're interested in off-camera positioning of the light, a significant difference between the two is the 700 supports both Master & Remote operation, whereas the 600 only supports Remote operation.

eurotrash

I ended up picking up the 600 for $175 from a guy in DC. It was just too good a deal to pass up, really. I figure, I'll end up buying a 700 once the price comes down. I want to get used to using off-board flash for awhile, get pretty good (or what I think is good) at it, then add to the setup with the 700. Now, I need to get an umbrella and stand! Here's the first shots from today. Basically, LUCK lol. I don't even consider them good, but I still don't know WTF I'm doing.

FLASH! by stupidphotoguy, on Flickr

Beer Pour by stupidphotoguy, on Flickr