Bighorn & D800

Sambr

D800Bighorn-X3.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
Gorgeous photo, great detail. There's no doubt about it, the D800 is an awesome instrument.

Bighorn sheep are amazingly beautiful animals. Just east of San Diego is the Anza Borrego State desert park where a subspecies of bighorn, the peninsular desert bighorn, live. These sheep are a little smaller than the mountain bighorn sheep and slightly grayer in color. There are approximately 220 head living within the park boundaries. Unfortunately the I-8 freeway has completely cut off this section of the herd from their traditional range with the bulk of the remaining population living in Baja California, Mexico. Nearly all the sheep in Anza Borrego are radio collared and numbered and each year on the weekend of July 4th, they conduct a 3 day sheep count. A herd this small risks being wiped out by a single virulent disease or any other problem that a genetic bottleneck like this presents. On the positive side, there are a lot of people dedicated to the preservation of this herd and their numbers are slowly growing.

Sambr

Gorgeous photo, great detail. There's no doubt about it, the D800 is an awesome instrument.

Bighorn sheep are amazingly beautiful animals. Just east of San Diego is the Anza Borrego State desert park where a subspecies of bighorn, the peninsular desert bighorn, live. These sheep are a little smaller than the mountain bighorn sheep and slightly grayer in color. There are approximately 220 head living within the park boundaries. Unfortunately the I-8 freeway has completely cut off this section of the herd from their traditional range with the bulk of the remaining population living in Baja California, Mexico. Nearly all the sheep in Anza Borrego are radio collared and numbered and each year on the weekend of July 4th, they conduct a 3 day sheep count. A herd this small risks being wiped out by a single virulent disease or any other problem that a genetic bottleneck like this presents. On the positive side, there are a lot of people dedicated to the preservation of this herd and their numbers are slowly growing.

Thank you Mojo Dave,
I wouldn't part with the d800 it's an awesome machine I am amazed everyday at it's capabilities. Thank you for information I love Bighorns ,what's better I love photograhing them(go to my site -( Sam's Photos | SmugMug under "pets & wildlife) you will find more of them. I am fortunate that a herd of 75 living very close to me. These Bighorns have gotten so used to me being around them they let me photograph them while feeding or resting You are so right about the delicate balance with these animals 15 years ago this herd was much bigger. Disease ( a virus) attacked this bunch and nearly wiped them out.

Eye-level

Banned
There is supposed to be more than the 55 coming in 2013...all of them made for new FX big MP machines and I think they will be AF...Zeiss is taking on MF!