The River of Grass..... commonly called the Everglades.

TedG954

Decided to take a ride out to the Loxahatchee reserve of the Everglades. Cooter the Scooter wasn't crazy about the alligators, but we didn't see any.

View attachment 16162

The Everglades cover southern Florida from the east coast to the west coast. The Native Americans called it the River of Grass. It's pretty flat and tranquil. This is pretty typical view.The Everglades is home to alligators, various fish (lots of bass), deer, and now, pythons. Birds are everywhere.

View attachment 16174

I am standing on a LOCK. Locks control the water flow in and out of the Everglades. Looking directly West, the Army Corps of Engineers cutout this canal for access and fishing.

View attachment 16165

Looking directly east, the Hillsboro canal travels all the way to the Atlantic Ocean. The clouds on the horizon are probably over the ocean. Today, the water is being transferred from the Glades into the canal. This water will eventually come to rest in dozens of neighborhood canals and lakes. I live about 10 miles away and the canal behind my home is fed by the Hillsboro canal. This is how floods are controlled.

View attachment 16166

This area is a paradise for sportsmen, particularly fisherman. I used to fish here quite a bit. I used to tease the alligators with top-water lures and make them chase them up to the boat. Not real smart, but I've never claimed to be.

View attachment 16167

As I traveled down a gravel road, came across this guy taking a rest from fishing. This bird actually dives into the water to catch fish while it swims.

View attachment 16168

To get way out into the Everglades, an air-boat is the best way to travel. This one is a tour vessel. I've lived here for 37 years and have never been on one. Gotta add that to the bucket list.

View attachment 16169

Last edited: