Wide angel lens

photoholic

Greetings everyone… I have a question about wide angel lenses. Prior to purchasing my D800, I was shooting with a D7000, and I was using the Sigma 10-20mm wide angel for landscapes. I am now considering replacing the 10-20 with a full frame lens. I was seeking advice on which wide angel lens to purchase for more width, and sharper images.

I currently full frame lenses are the Nikon 28-300 (which gives me decent width), Nikon 70-200, Sigma 105mm macro, and Sigma 85mm portrait lens.

I have looked at the Sigma 12-24mm, and the Nikon 14-24 (expensive), and the Nikon 17-35mm. Wondering if anyone has experience in comparing. More specifically… I was wondering about image quality with the Sigma 12-24, in comparison to the Nikon glass.

Thanks in advance… Joe

Dave_W

The Dude
The best wide angle zoom lens on the market is the 14-24mm. It's an awesome lens but not cheap. On the plus side, it retains a great deal of its original purchase price so view it as a "rental" that you will re-sell at some point and the price isn't that bad at all.

Rick M

If I were to buy a Fx ultra-wide I think it would be the 16-35 f4 for the range and the fact that you can use screw mount filters. Mojo is correct as far as sharpness, you can't beat the 14-24.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I agree with Rick. Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII would be the best route for my style of shooting.

However, just cross that bridge once you get the camera. In most cases, those ultra wide angle lenses do not get a lot of use since they are too wide. 24-70mm f2.8 has been a more useable FL in FX.

photoholic

Wow… thanks guys, I really appreciate the insight. Somehow I missed the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII in my searching. With my shooting style, this looks like the way to go.

Thanks again, everyone for the council.