Lens hood on my 35mm lens

Dooku77

Today I purchased my Nikon 35mm lens and my lens hood fits very loose. I put it on and it stays on but when I flip it around for storage it fits super loose. I took my camera out of the car and it worked itself off and fell on the ground. Is there an aftermarket hood I can get or should I return it for a replacement?

Dooku77

I don't use hoods so I don't know Willie...throw the damn useless thing away and get a Sigma replacement one! haha ;)

I might just not even use it anymore. If sigma makes one I'll get it, kind of makes me angry that I spend this money and it seems like such a cheap product.

Eye-level

Banned
Modern day hoods are a fashion statement IMHO...flower petals? Gimme a frigging break!

Useless.

Give me an old metal round rig made for the lens that will handle a direct impact from waist level.

People who shoot into the sun will go blind I say! LOL

nikonpup

I have one of the floopy hoods on my 55-300 and haven't lost it yet. So said I have a Sigma 10-20 and much prefer how it's hood attaches.

Dooku77

Never mind. I'm a stupid man. I was being to gentle with the hood. I tried to twist it farther and voila, snapped right into place forward and backward. Now it secures very tightly.

Tami Jo

Well at least you didn't place a complaint call yet! Sometimes I think we are just a bit over careful...and not that anything is wrong with that. But the cameras can take a bit of use after all that's what they are made for right. I too am starting to ease up a bit and finding things working better that way. Now you can get back to enjoying your new prime lens:cool:

fotojack

Never mind. I'm a stupid man. I was being to gentle with the hood. I tried to twist it farther and voila, snapped right into place forward and backward. Now it secures very tightly.

I was going to say......did you try to twist it on, or is it one of those snap on types. Glad you figured it out. :)

Sambr

Modern day hoods are a fashion statement IMHO...flower petals? Gimme a frigging break!

Useless.

Give me an old metal round rig made for the lens that will handle a direct impact from waist level.

People who shoot into the sun will go blind I say! LOL
LOL Jeff there is a reason why they are shaped like that. A round metal or rubber hood on a zoom lens would vignette like crazy at the wide end. So that's why the cutout "aka" flower petal design. A prime lens such as the 35 50 85 will have a solid lens hood. I am always "hooded" my shots certainly haven't suffered.