Weekly Challenge?

AxeMan - Rick S.

Marcel is on holiday, as I expected there's not one up and running. If someone else was supposed to put one up while he was gone, it fell though the cracks for whatever explainable reason.

Seeing how it's Friday a little late to start on one now, so enjoy the week off and maybe something will roll out the beginning of the week.

Everyone sit tight. If you really feel the need to do a challenge this week pick one that was done in the past and post it up as a 365 or daily photo. It's late in the night and I still need to do a 365, so I might do just that.

Rick M

Seems like we have a moderate moderation problem lately. I had better explain that comment...,

I really like this site and appreciate that it is here and free. I also appreciate all of the work of the volunteer moderators, they are a fantastic group.

I'm assuming this site is a for profit business for someone? With that in mind I'm just surprised that things like a weekly challenge are not "covered" when a volunteer is not able to do the work.

Please don't anyone take this as a negative, it's not meant that way. I do not know how these things work, so I post this out of curiosity.

BTW, I'd be more than happy to pay a small subscription fee as I think this is one of the best sites around.

As a business minded person, I just don't understand why this falls through the cracks. I'm assuming membership or activity numbers drive reimbursement/revenue. That being said, the challenges attract new members and help keep current members active. I may be completely wrong :)

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
You're absolutely right Rick. Challenges started out as a member run thing, which is mainly why I have been passive about them. However, they do keep people active and I should really make them more of a priority.

Running this and a couple other websites is my full time job after all :) While this site does generate some money through ads, I believe it has just recently covered my initial investment. In other words, it doesn't make a lot. Regardless, I never wanted to require a membership fee to participate. I don't like that model at all.

Dave_W

The Dude
Why not let us "non-Moderators" take turns at setting up the weekly challenges? We could all add our names and each week you, or another Mod, picks one of us to host the challenge? That way it becomes a self sustaining project?

Rick M

You're absolutely right Rick. Challenges started out as a member run thing, which is mainly why I have been passive about them. However, they do keep people active and I should really make them more of a priority.

Running this and a couple other websites is my full time job after all :) While this site does generate some money through ads, I believe it has just recently covered my initial investment. In other words, it doesn't make a lot. Regardless, I never wanted to require a membership fee to participate. I don't like that model at all.

Thanks for the response Jdeg! I did not think this was a cash cow :)

I really appreciate what you are doing for us.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What would you guys say if we had a monthly "Assignment" and you could enter 3 photos? Would this get you to participate more?

Photowyzard

Weekly Challenges, in itself, is challenging because the photo has to be taken in the week of the Challenge. That means, as in my case, if I don't like the Challenge or topic, I don't participate.

I don't think it is the number of images, just that you submit an image.

I run a Monthly Challenge in another forum I frequent a lot and the participation stems from the topic. B&W is hugely popular, just mentioning it brings a flood of participation. One of the most popular challenges was simply posting any B&W image.

Weekly is tough on who ever runs it because you are judging the images. I don't judge the images. Participation is the reward and comments from other members. I may change that and see if people like a Challenge where the images are judged. No one in the last year has suggested it.

My suggestion would be as follows:

1) have two people running the Challenges, one in charge and one for opinion and backup
2) Create a list of topics for 6 months ahead
3) Go to monthly challenges
4) Don't change the Judging format, I actually like that, where you declare a winner
5) I would only allow ONE IMAGE submitted, the best one
6) Have a 3 week period to submit and 1 week period to vote to make up the month
- so you need a submission period, 1st of month to 23rd, 7 days to VOTE and declare the winner on the 1st of the next month and so on.

Hope this helps.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the feedback Art. I hope the other moderators will read your input and then we"ll try our best to come up with a solution to the challenge (it's become a moderator challenge lately).

Philnz

Personally I like weekly challenges. Just my two cents.
I agree I like the weekly challenge. I think a month is far to long. You would have to make a rule that once a photo was entered you would not be allowed to change it, even if you got a better shot latter. So what would happen? I am picking that people would hold back their entry till the last moment and then there would be a rush of them.
No please keep things as they are, so we miss a week now and them, so what, no big deal surely.

Mr.Smith

I like it the way it is aswell, if we miss a few weeks you just end up craving it that little bit more..

Moderators do an excellent job here on this site, keep it up!!

Mr.Smith

Lol, I'll be more than happy to send you a check for $5 to support your growing family :)

Me too, or even a paypal and people can donate if and when they want, I am part of a gaming clan that runs multiple voice comms and game servers that is also a donation if you want model and works very well. its non profitible and no one person emtpy the coffers so to speak. The additional cash, when we have some, just sits in an account generating profit.

Just a thought

AxeMan - Rick S.

With a lot of "New" people here and interested in the Weekly Challenge maybe it time to put some new life into this old thread from last year I started.

[url]http://nikonites.com/weekly-photo-challenges/4125-ideas-weekly-photo-challenges.html[/URL]

It's not the solution to having a weekly challenge every week but it would give the "people" over seeing the challenge an idea of a subject for that week a little easier to come up with. That it self is a challenge, trust me I know. I won quite a few weekly challenges using the old format where the winner that week picked the next challenge subject.

The other thing we need for a lack of a better word is a challenge committee of at least two people maybe three people. If person "A" does not have a challenge posted by a set date and time, person "B" would step in, and if person "B" didn't have a challenge up and running by a set date person "C" would step in.

Yeah, there is a flaw to this idea, too many people trying to run it at one time, and maybe a very short challenge week if person "C" would have to post a challenge, but we would have "check valves" in place in the event a challenge was not up.

Just throwing some ideas out.