D800 lens + teleconverter sample thread

Billy Y.

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where people can post there various lens with teleconverter samples, I always find these threads to be helpful when I am considering buying a combo. Right now to get any long shots my only option is the -Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR + Nikon TC-17E II 1.7x Teleconverter for AF-SThis is the VR 1 version of the 70-200 and the combo gives you a 340mm equivelant on a FX camera. Here are some samples -

DSC_0510.jpg

100% crop
DSC_0510 crop.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

100% crop
DSC_0523 crop.jpg

The lens combo works reasonably well in good light, autofocus and metering both work and the AF is still fairly quick (in good light mind you) I do think at 100% there is some detail lost in the fur, but the higher contrast areas seem to retain a good amount of detail. Anyway the imported version of this Teleconverter sells for $399 at Adorama and gives you a good option to turn your 70-200 into a 340mm lens for not much money.Cheers

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Critical bird shooters who does a lot of heavy cropping when shooting small birds may not like it but based on the samples that you've provided, they are pretty good.

Billy Y.

Yeah it's really acceptable zooming in up to 50%, at 100 that fine fur on her nose just sort of blends in with itself, weird how it still picks up the white fur fairly sharp though.