Try new lenses

bgatty68

I know this sounds stupid (maybe) but i can remember buying console games P1 & 2 etc etc and in certain shops you could try out the games instore before buying it to see if you liked it!!! so why can't dealers have various lenses in store for you to try out before you buy?? or am i asking too much? its just buying a £200-£300 lense without trying it out first.

simonhodge

Can you not go into your local store, take your D3100 body with you and try it out? Find a friend who has one. Or hire the lens for a weekend. Other than that you will just have to go on people's reviews on here and the rest of the net.

Mike150

There are companies the rent the lenses. I use one here in the USA, and after a quick search online I found this company in the UK.
Lenses For Hire

I have a 70-300mm (with CP filter) on the way for next weekend's air show. You can usually rent for a few day, week or month.

Good Luck

Nikon Photographer

Depending where you go, but most photographic shops have demo' lenses for you to look at, and even try them on your camera if you take it along with you, which is what I have always done unless buying off the 'net, obviously they only keep the most popular mounts in stock, but Nikon being one of the top brands, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

§am

Just to add a note Lenses for Hire are a great company to hire from and they have some super services.
If you've not used them before, have a read through their delivery times and such forth... usually they will deliver the day before you need to hire from, and you can return it the day after you finish your hire (which in effect is 2 days extra hire :))

If you don't want to hire, then Jessops is your next best bet - they have a good range in stock in their larger stores and they're usually happy to help, but remember to be firm when you say no, I don't want to buy from you, I will get cheaper online :p