Nikon D800 using Nikon 300mm f4D + Nikon AF-S Teleconverter 1.4 EII: Sample Images

Photowyzard

Well, I thought a quick review of this configuration should have its own folder.

If you are on a budget, the Nikon 300mm f4 AF is the best value for the money. Used, the older version is a steal. Ask Marcel. I believe it is even better than the lens I am showing off here, the more current, Nikon 300mm f4D.

Follow this link to see a Ken Rockwell write on the older model.

Nikon 300mm f/4 AF Review

You can typically find them online for sale for around $600. If you find one in good shape, BUY IT! I believe it takes slightly sharper pictures than the newer model and I can only hazard a guess at why, it has slightly larger glass. The new lens doesn't seem to have the same bite, for lack of a better description.

Here are some sample images of the newer, D model, which is what I am using now, with the Teleconverter attached. This gives me a focal length of 420mm in FX mode. These are all shot in FX mode.

Great-Egret-on-Log.jpg

GBH-BiF.jpg

Diver.jpg

Jet-Ski.jpg

The Ken Rockwell review on the new lens can be found here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/300f4afs.htm

Last edited:

Pierro

The last one i saw on Ebay over here went for £670. Not much chance of me paying that sort of coin, but yep, would love to own one.

pedroj

Very nice shots...I have the older version, here is a surfing shot taken with it..

Attachments

• saltwater_24_sep_021.jpg
    saltwater_24_sep_021.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 5,025