Noob question about bulb mode

Nekro

So I just picked up a D5100 and I am very interested in doing light painting. I have been successful with it for being my first try at it. I had the camera on S-mode with the shutter speed at 30sec. But I would like to know how I can have it last longer than 30sec. I know to put the camera and set it to M mode and scroll it to bulb, but i have to physically hold the button down and if i let go it ends the shot. Can someone help me out with that? I read and re-read the manual but I cant find the answer. I know its probably a easy find but i need help.

Mr.Smith

The D3100 is the same, I have to hold the button down in bulb mode, not 100% sure but I think there is no way around this. :(

Sandpatch

I was wondering the same thing Nekro and too figured I needed the remote shutter release which I do not own. Last December I wanted to take a time exposure of our home in Christmas trim. I used the 30 Second exposure at a small aperature, then ran and popped off four handheld flashes along the front of the house, laying low with each flash so as not to cast my shadow in the picture. It was a fun experiment and after a bit of experimentation with 30-second dash times and where to aim the flashes, I got some real nice shots.

The only hair-raising moment occured when the neighbors backed out of their driveway and almost flattened my D-5100 and tripod in the darkness!

Last edited: