Maybe Buying D5100 - What Are Chances of an Upgrade Soon?

pkdslr

I bought a D50 as my first DSLR just prior to the jump in pixels from 6-12MP and don't want to make the same mistake. Ideally, I would be buying the highest pixels available with Nikon and use the camera for quite some time. As you can tell, I've used my D50 for many years.

Does anybody have an idea of when a D5200 may come out? I see the D3200 has 24MP - it may be worth me waiting to buy the D5200. I realize pixels aren't everything, but hope to use this camera for enlargements are significant cropping where needed.

I hope everybody is doing well!

P

AC016

I think you will be waiting for a while for a D5200 - maybe, a big maybe, it will come mid 2013. Though, if you want the Nikon with most pixels, it is the D800 right now, with 36. I don't think that anything in the Nikon world will come out with more MP for quite a few years. That being said, i would not hold your breath for a D5200. If you want budget MP hog, then the 3200 is for you. If you can afford 3k, then get the D800 and get 36mp.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Yeah, the next camera in line for release is the D600, then probably some kind of update to the D7000. The D5100 has at least another year before something else similar is released. Even then, Nikon tends to bring the next new model up to somewhere in-between the previous next best model. For example, the D5100 technically replaced the D5000, but has some features of the D7000. See this comparison.

pkdslr

I think you will be waiting for a while for a D5200 - maybe, a big maybe, it will come mid 2013. Though, if you want the Nikon with most pixels, it is the D800 right now, with 36. I don't think that anything in the Nikon world will come out with more MP for quite a few years. That being said, i would not hold your breath for a D5200. If you want budget MP hog, then the 3200 is for you. If you can afford 3k, then get the D800 and get 36mp.

Is the D3200 the same sensor as the D5100? I guess I'm leaning to the D5100 b/c its mid-range and seems to have all of the controls I'd need with easy access. 16MP is probably fine. I've seen a friends Canon at 18MP and it produces some amazing shots. I'm guessing 2MP won't be all that different.

I just get irked thinking that I'll buy a camera and in one year I will be down 8MP in the same line.

AC016

Is the D3200 the same sensor as the D5100? I guess I'm leaning to the D5100 b/c its mid-range and seems to have all of the controls I'd need with easy access. 16MP is probably fine. I've seen a friends Canon at 18MP and it produces some amazing shots. I'm guessing 2MP won't be all that different.

I just get irked thinking that I'll buy a camera and in one year I will be down 8MP in the same line.

They don't use the same sensor. One is 16mp and the other is 24mp, so no way they could be. If you are pixel peeping, there would be a difference in 16 and 24 when the picture is blown up/cropped. But between 16 and 18, i doubt you would be able to tell the difference. The 5100 takes photos with great IQ. However, how much do you want to crop your pictures? Perhaps invest in a good telephoto, like a 70-300 and you won't hae to crop that much, if at all.

pedroj

I've printed 30 inches long with the D300 [12.3] and would print wider if I had to..How big do you want to print...

AC016

I have done 8 x 11 with pictures from my D3000 when i had it - it is only a 10mp camera. I have not tried with any pics from my 5100, but i am sure that i can get them twice the size with no issues.

§am

I vaguely remember from many a moon ago, that your prints will depend on the dpi you print at and the size of your original digital picture.

But a D5100 pic will happily give you a decent pic at 20*30" or thereabouts, any higher and I'm not sure, but imagine it won't be that bad a quality print unless you get into billboard sizes!

stmv

if you don't buy often,, consider jumping to the D7000 that is on sell now at 996, allows broader use of lens then the 5100, but the 5100 does share the same sensor as the 7000.

also, these camera hold their value, you can always sell use and upgrade if you fill the desire.

even the D50s still sell often for 250-350 range. by the way the 6 Meg sensor in the D50 is very fine low noise sensor. just can't print as large as say the newer generations.

pkdslr

Go with the:
D5100
18-105mm VR
55-300 VR or 70-300 VR
If you have the money add a nice Prime lens 35 or 50 mm

Hi Joecap!
I've been thinking D5100 with 18-55 kit lens, 50 mm 1.8, and 50-200mm.

If I do go with a D7000 would I be using the same lens?