P510 Bridge vs DSLR

bgatty68

I have a friend at work who, after realising I have a DSLR D3100 had decided that this is something that they would like for themselves, but continually keeps changing their mind from a DSLR to the bridge camera P510 all because "the zoom is what I want and I could never afford a 1000mm zoom lense on a DSLR" as he likes to take pictures of subjects from 5 miles away (ok im exaggerating on the distance but you get my meaning) one minutes he wants a DSLR then the next he wants the Zoom of a bridge, and its annoying me, can someone tell me if his reasons are founded on the ZOOM basis alone, and are Bridge cameras with their ZOOM's that good and if so why didnt we all get one????

bgatty68

LOL good idea, the thing is he is one of those people that talks about getting something for about 2years before he gets it and i just want to know if Bridge cameras are a better option if you want to take pictures at very far distances and if it is a cheaper option than a DSLR with a zoom lense and what is the quality like at full zoom on a Bridge blah blah, so I can tell him the pros and cons direct from the PRO's on here

Carolina Photo Guy

LOL good idea, the thing is he is one of those people that talks about getting something for about 2years before he gets it and i just want to know if Bridge cameras are a better option if you want to take pictures at very far distances and if it is a cheaper option than a DSLR with a zoom lense and what is the quality like at full zoom on a Bridge blah blah, so I can tell him the pros and cons direct from the PRO's on here

A bridge camera will ALWAYS be cheaper than a DSLR. ALWAYS!

With the bridge, you don't need to buy any lenses ever!

Having said that, there is a reason that bridge cameras are usually a lot cheaper than the DSLR.

SENSOR SIZE!!!! The bigger the sensor, the more information in the image.

Also, you have to take into account the mechanics of the zoom. Most high zoom bridge cameras use digital zoom as the higher zoom

and optical zoom as the lower zoom. Digital zoom is like a software zoom. Usually past the middle the image will begin to pixelate rapidly.

Easy way to handle this with your friend is to tell him to either piss or get off the pot. If you're a polite person, tell him to make up his own mind.

Hope this helps. :)

I forgot to mention something. Tell him to get a Canon Bridge camera.

That way, when he decides to get a Nikon DSLR, he can use the Canon as a surf fishing weight.

They work really well for that! :)

Last edited:

bgatty68

Nice explaination Pete I liked that.
Yes he is getting on my nerves now so I will tell him to make up his F***ing mind lol:D