Hi Guys! Reccommendations on lense options for J1

Somersetscott

Hi Guys, Seems like a nice forum! :smile-new:

I've had a compact for many years, and travelled - a few years back bought a cheap bridge and fallen in love with photography (I am a total newbie though) A few months ago I purchased a J1 inc. Lens kit (30-110mm) I am astonished at the speed and clarity of this system camera - but I do wish I bought a proper DSLR but for now the I can learn alot from the J1.

My Question is - Could any of you make any reccommendations on how to gain focal lenth for this system camera? - the lenses are great, but I would like to take some wild life photos.. All suggestions are appreciated - I am working on a slight budget though :)

Many thanks, Scott

Somersetscott

Haha! thanks for the reply - I've done this and ended up with an exspensive piece of rubbish - its like half a binocular to screwed onto the end of the original lense premoting it extends X7 :mad: horrific effects! extreme loss of quality, I should when I get back from Sweden post this awful discision of mine so perhaps you guys can have a laugh and any newbies following me will not try it..

So thats why i'm asking guys that know - before I waste more money I could have put toward a decent lens or camera :)

Thanks, Scott

pedroj

Depends what you are going to do in the future, if it's to go slr I believe You can buy an adapter to fit DSLR lens to it but they are not cheap or stay with what you have...I would have a look at the Nikon site and check out the lens they have for the 1 series...

I realy don't think there is a cheap fix...

Somersetscott

Yes, Pedro you're right! - I am probably looking at an adapter for F-mount then a 2nd hand f-mount lens - hitting two birds with one stone by buying lenses that will be useful when I upgrade the J1 body for something more desirable in the future.

I guess I was wandering what others have done with regard to the J1, but then I doupt there is that many J1 & V1 users on a forum as serious photographers seem to dislike the compact system cameras.

By myself saying 'budget' I mean I cannot justify £100(ish) i've just spent for the product i've just recieved it is pretty much useless, but i'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount for the correct parts- "Once bitten, Twice Shy"..

Thanks, Scott

pedroj

Hi again Scott..I've just remembered that these Nikon 1s have a crop factor 0f 2.7 which makes the 110mm almost equivalent to 300mm....

If you do go with the adapter and second hand lens, the lens will have to be "AF-S" meaning it will have an auto focus motor in it...

Last edited:

Nikon Photographer

Have a look here :-

digitalmediastore: Lens Mount Converter - Nikon F-Mount Lens on Nikon 1 Body

For £36 you can use Nikon F mount lenses on the Nikon 1 series of cameras, or have a look on eBay, plenty of adapters for the Nikon 1 series on there, of course these cheaper third party adapters will not let you use Autofocus and you won't get the auto metering to work, so everything will have to be done in manual mode, where as the dearer genuine Nikon product will give you AF and auto exposure if you use Nikon AF-S lenses with it ...

You say you want to take wildlife photo's, Nikon do make a 10-100 lens for the 1 series, which in 35mm terms gives you the equivalent of a 27-270mm

Last edited:

pedroj

Have a look here :-

digitalmediastore: Lens Mount Converter - Nikon F-Mount Lens on Nikon 1 Body

For £36 you can use Nikon F mount lenses on the Nikon 1 series of cameras, or have a look on eBay, plenty of adapters for the Nikon 1 series on there, of course these cheaper third party adapters will not let you use Autofocus and you won't get the auto metering to work, so everything will have to be done in manual mode, where as the dearer genuine Nikon product will give you AF and auto exposure if you use Nikon AF-S lenses with it ...

You say you want to take wildlife photo's, Nikon do make a 10-100 lens for the 1 series, which in 35mm terms gives you the equivalent of a 27-270mm

He has the 30-110mm

Somersetscott

So, would I be a fool for thinking if I managed to get a 2nd hand :Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF ED G Lens

And the Correct F-mount (that allows AF) would this work and end up being 189-810mm with the J1's "2.7" Crop factor?

Or am I being crazy? - Sorry, I'm quite new to all this.

thanks, Scott

Nikon Photographer

No, your not crazy, if you get the correct Nikon adapter that allows all the functions of the lens, (AF and exposure modes) then yes it will work, and the 70-300 would get the same image as you would when using a 189-810 on a 35mm camera, the lens doesn't alter it's focal length, but as the sensor is smaller than a full frame 35mm camera, the image is cropped and you end up with the equivalent of a longer lens, this is probably why a lot of wildlife photographers go for the DX size sensor camera's.

Somersetscott

I guess I'm trying to justify to myself to get the Nikon FT1 mount that allows the functions at £189.99, a 2nd hand lens seem to be reasonably priced.. just no cheap way out :)