Clean D200 ?

jumbo

My D200 has around 36000 clicks on it. Recently I noticed, when I shoot sky at f8/11 or higher, I can see some spots in the picture. I thought their might be some minor dust. So took my blower, popped the mirror up and blowed air inside the camera, sad part, the spot changed its place, but I can still see a couple of spots when I take a picture.
Any suggestions, how to get rid of it, or if I need some professional help to clean.
Thanks.

stmv

ah,, yes, the bane of digital SLRs, you can buy an artic butterfly,, its like a brush that you spin with a built in motor and it builds up charge, then you brush across the sensor to pick up the dust.

Some people get the wet kits, and clean their sensors, I am not brave enough,

For, me, I try to change the lens downwind, and opening to the floor, but eventually, no matter what dust will eventually show up,,

clone away (I like the bandaid in PS), and then when you finnally get sick of it, pay for a professional cleaning..

I used a Proshop in town, about 1 a year, 120 dollars for a deep clean. not cheap, but it last me a long time until the next cleaning.

anyway, your choice of doing your own cleaning,, or pay the pro.

Disorderly

I've had good success with my Arctic Butterfly. An advantage of newer cameras, at least the high end models, is that their built-in sensor cleaning takes care of most of my dust problems. Since I moved from a D200 to a D300 (I'm on a D800 now) I've only had to use the brush a half dozen times, plus one pro cleaning at my local camera shop.

jumbo

Looks like I need to be brave enough, and clean the sensor myself. Arctic Butterfly is kind of expensive for a poor college student, with part time job.
How about the sensor cleaning swabs that are around there. Will that harm my sensor if I used those. Any idea on those swabs.

Eye-level

Banned
Just hold the camera with the lens mount facing downward and keep blowing it out until you get rid of the dust specks. Use a damn hair dryer on cool if you must surely you know a coed with a hair dryer that blows cool? LOL You may have to do it several times but I bet you can get it clear. I would not touch the sensor in any way shape or form whatsoever but that is just me.

jumbo

Eye-level: I actually have tried the way you told (not with the hair dryer though). Tried it again, and after blowing the spot changed its position on the photo. And the blowing has definitely reduced the amount of spots I could see. Now there are just a couple of them on the far left corner, which I can see if I go f16 or further.. So, for now I can live with the few spots left.
Thanks.

Eye-level

Banned
When I clean my F2 not only do I have to jack with mirror and housing I have to pop off the viewfinder and take out the focusing screen. You need a fine haired sable brush (I use a number 2). Blow it out again about three more times then use the brush to finesse the rest of the crap out of the body...brush in an inward manner as opposed to an outward manner (so you don't get crap pushed towards the left corner haha). Stay off of the sensor. Keep doing it everyday until it is all gone.

gbt

I realise I am probably teaching my "grandmother to suck eggs" in this forum but please don't use canned compressed air to clean your sensor, a blower brush is sufficient before you have to consider wet cleaning. I have a sad story about a Canon 5D sensor I damaged with compressed air long ago (the dust got behind the filter and Canon insisted they had to replace the sensor.