D800 as a wedding camera

stmv

I got to use the D800 as a wedding camera (not the primary photographer,, yuck), but as the filler shooter, and let me say that it shined!

I first shot indoors at ISO 2000 no flash, and beautiful shots, low noise, super.

I find the burst rate is plenty deep, can take a quick burst, and between the next setup, the buffer has plenty of time to clear out.

Outdoors it shined, great pictures

then back in the evening restaurant shots, again, non flash shots of first dance etc, and again all usable shots.

So, overall, I took 500 shots and resulted in 100 or photos (accounting for the overlapping shots/bracketing, etc), many were single one offs, I had very few throw aways.

The more I use the D800, the happier I am (yup,, D700 just collects dust, and more dust).

I should say, one battery (end of day still had 45% charge left, after 500 shots), and of course, with 48G in the camera, no need to carrying spare cards.

The two lens I used was the 80-200 2.8, and 35-70 2.8 which I find to be perfect combination for a day, I had a 20-35 2.8 in a belt bag, but hardly used it.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Thanks for the info especially with the D800 battery life. In my experience, it uses more power than the D7000 which is why I purchased a second battery as a back-up.

Your 35-70mm f2.8 would be an ideal for a wedding or group shots. 20-35mm f2.8 which I also own may be too wide for a FX camera although ideally, the 24-70mm will give you the best ranges in this situation.

Re: D700. This is one of the reasons why I sold it as soon as the D800 was announced back in Feb.

Ruidoso Bill

Makes me excited, mine comes in next Wednesday. Looking forward to learning the new camera. Would love to see one of your ISO 2K shots.