D800E goes "old school"

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Such a beautiful combo!

D8HENikkor135mmf28Ailens.jpg

stmv

yes, such gems,, any of those great lens, like the 105, 135, now you might not believe it, but I have found that the 75-150 series E zoom is a great little package for the 800. sharp, compact, and that nice manual focus feel.

The choices are almost endless with old glass and the 800. I have been thinking of getting the 85 1.4 or 50 1.2.

So, seeing any negatives with the 800e? with the different filter that undoes the alias filter?

stmv

not compared to the D3/4,, yes, slightly larger than say a d7000, but still very managable and well balanced.

I own lighter weight and the D800, and I find the D800 (d300, d700), family to be a nice balance..

although,, sometimes the D7000 with the 18-55 light weight package is nice to carry around.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
So, seeing any negatives with the 800e? with the different filter that undoes the alias filter?

Using the D800E and D7000, I see the difference in acuity and now prefers this camera over anything else that I have tried. I have not conducted any other testing about the effects of filters although I use a filter with all of my lenses (B&W) and some Nikon clear filters for protection.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
not compared to the D3/4,, yes, slightly larger than say a d7000, but still very managable and well balanced.

I own lighter weight and the D800, and I find the D800 (d300, d700), family to be a nice balance..

although,, sometimes the D7000 with the 18-55 light weight package is nice to carry around.

The D800 is about right for me when holding it. The D7000 is a little small and leaves no space for my pinky unless I use a battery grip with it.

I agree that the D7000 matched with a Nikon 35mm f1.8G DX lens makes it a nice lightweight camera when you don't want to carry a bigger gear.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Great shot Glenn :) Thank you!

by the way I've been trying to drink "Canada Dry" for years.......:)

I know this is out of topic, but this makes me wonder if this is similar for the Australians do not prefer "Foster" beer? I believe Victoria Bitter is a more popular beverage. ;)

My wife drinks Canada Dry because its caffeine free. It works out for me after a meal since it makes me "burp". :D

Eye-level

Banned
I have drank Canada Dry and 7 Up all my life because when I was ill as a child that and Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup is what mom did to us. And mom knows! haha

I do not drink caffeine anymore and haven't in several years.

Phillydog1958

Canada Dry
Crushed Ice
Jim Beam Rye Whiskey

No finer drink on the planet.
Add a small cuban cigar and I am in heaven for 30 minutes.

:)

Nice shot, but Jim Beam isn't considered a "Fine" whiskey. It's not smooth. You're drinking from the bottom to mid-level shelves. Come on up to the top shelf and sip on a Crown Royal and Coke. :D

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Another surprising performance from this old and cheap lens from Nikon. The D800 appears to give a new life to any lens including old ones.

Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Ai manual focus lens.

D8HE Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Ai by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Nikkor 28mm f3.5 ai @ f8, 13 seconds, ISO 200

D8HENikkor28mmf35Ainight.jpg

Last edited: