Lana, 38 yrs old and beautiful.

Dave_W

The Dude
This is Lana, she's the 32 yr old former matriarch of the Bonobo troop at the SD Zoo. The reason she's now the "former" and not current matriarch is that last year they combined the Bonobo troop from the Wild Animal Park (now called "Safari Park") and the other troop was lead by Lana's 38 yr old sister, Loretta. It took a few months for all of them to integrate but now they've all been accepted and the troop is whole again. Unfortunately the only mating male passed away last year so until they bring in a new unfixed male, the troop will not be growing any time soon.

Lana's a very affectionate Bonobo and will come up to the glass and press her face and chest against it when Lana sees someone she recognizes. And surprisingly there are a number of people who have been coming nearly every day for over 20+ yrs and when she sees them she'll come running over. I've been fortunate enough to spend time talking with these dedicated folks and I hear all the family stories of this troop. It's amazing how much these people care for these Bonobos, they speak about them as they would their own grandchildren.

View attachment 15957

ohkphoto

Snow White
I really like this photo . . . nice composition with the little boy looking at her. And thank you for sharing the story.
Nice work.