Amazon package deals? Opinions?

Maksim.7

So here are two packages I've stopped at. I just don't know if they are good buys. I know all the little things are mostly crappy, but I'd like to know if the camera and lenses would be legit with the warranties. Has anyone bought packages similar to these? There are 10's of them on amazon.

Here are the two packages:

1. Amazon.com: Nikon D5100 16.2 MP Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm G VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens with 55-200mm VR Lens + 16GB Card + Backpack + (2) Filters + Cleaning & Accessory Kit: Electronics

2. Amazon.com: Nikon D5100 16.2 MP Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm G VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens with 55-200mm VR Lens + 32GB Card + Case + (2) Filters + Remote + Tripod + Cleaning Kit: Camera & Photo

What can you guys tell me?

Rick M

A lot of the accessories are 3rd party leftovers, probably low quality. You would be better off just getting a kit with two lenses. I noticed they had the D5100 with the 18-55 and 55-300 for only a little more than those two packages, better off putting the money in lenses. The tripods, filters, ect they are showing are cheap. Eventually you will want your accessories to equal the quality of the camera you invested in, at that point you'll realize these are junk.

Tami Jo

Neither of those two offers are sold from Amazon, I'd steer clear of those. Amazon is great to purchase from but I am not certain as to some of the third party sellers. They may be fine but I believe you would be much better off purchasing directly through Amazon or another camera retailer such as BHPhoto or Adorama... If you have any camera stores locally you may check there as well. Best Buy is very good also if you have one near you.

rymahoney

okay. here is the deal. The items are sold by Cameras for Sale | Buy a Digital Camera from Cameta Camera . To my knowledge and iv researched it alot because i just bought my camera package through them. In a nut shell the extras are just things they get for cheap to make people think they are getting more. I bet if you look up prices for that camera and both lenses prices will be about the same as the package. They get an overstock of the add on items dirt cheap. so they throw them in for sales purposes. Again im new to this and did some research on cameta. They have a 30 day return policy and gave me free 2 day shipping.
I got the d5100 package with the 18 200 lens and all the extra cheap add ons for 300 less than best buy. And the come with full nikon warranty on the camera and lens. Someone correct me if im wrong so i can send my order back.
this is the package i got http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-60113.cfm

Last edited:

alex_c

I would check out or call 42nd st photo. They seem to have the lowest prices, fast shipping and Great customer service.
I purchase from them..

42photo.com - New York Camera Store, Digital Cameras, Audio and Video Electronics

I would verify first that the item you are buying is NOT gray market. Otherwise, you will have no factory warranty from Nikon, but a questionable aftermarket "warranty". If you read 42nd st. photo description it say "All products include A USA Warranty", not a Nikon USA warranty... very different.

Maksim.7

I'm aware that the little things are crap, but the bag is decent. Everywhere I've looked, I haven't found a cheaper price on body + 18-55 + 55-200.Can anyone prove this wrong?

§am

I bought my kit from the US when I was there on holiday (had it shipped to my uncle's house there).
I did all my research, price queries etc etc from over here in the UK before ordering.

For me, Adorama provided a much better customer service than some of the others, including BHPhoto (though I have to admit, they were $~5 cheaper overall).

I ordered the 18-55 VR & 55-200 VR kit they had on offer at the time, and when I got a copy of the invoice, it stated a free carry bag which I wasn't expecting much of aside from being a cheap freebie.
To my surprise it was a very good quality Nikon bag.
Nikon D5100 16.2 MP Digital SLR Camera w/18-55mm & 55-200mm DX VR -USA- #25478 25478 KL1

Maksim.7

The package from B&H has a lowepro bag. Both B&H and Adorama are reputable and great with customer service, so I think I'll save $5 and go with B&H

§am

I must mention, my purchase was back in April so prices will have changed, and I was essentially buying from abroad, and Adorama were more willing to listen to me as a foreign customer then B&H were.

But you're right - both are very reputable companies, and should I visit the states again anytime soon, intend to make another purchase or few from one of them :)

Maksim.7

I must mention, my purchase was back in April so prices will have changed, and I was essentially buying from abroad, and Adorama were more willing to listen to me as a foreign customer then B&H were.

But you're right - both are very reputable companies, and should I visit the states again anytime soon, intend to make another purchase or few from one of them :)

Yeah I just noticed that the price difference is a few pennies. Thanks for your help!:)