Refusal to auto focus

Hi There,
I just got a Nikon 3200 body and, on recommendation, a Sigma 17-70 Macro HSM lens with a Nikon mount. I briefly took it out today for a short field test and on two occasions it refused to focus. I presse half way down, the focus motor ran for a bit and didn't pick up the distance. The second time I turned it off and on again and then it worked. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
Thanks.

Last edited:

fotojack

Yes, you should be concerned. Take it back to the shop and demand a replacement. Sounds like you may have got a bad one. The lens motor should work smoothly all the time.

Eye-level

Banned
If you have to resort to MF always remember the very first rule - when looking through the viewfinder and focusing make sure you are using your largest aperture and after you achieve focus then spin the aperture ring to whatever f stop you want to use! Don't forget this simple rule because if you do you will have problems getting good focus. :)

I would add give this lens a second chance. Use it and when it locks up shift it over to manual and make some snaps there. Then you shift back to auto. Maybe you can break it in and get it to working smoothly.

Last edited:

JPar

Before taking it back, try to take pictures of other objects and play with the AF settings, as well as the focus point settings. You may have too narrow a focus point or the wrong AF setting. Sometimes the lens has issues focusing because it can't lock on to a focal point, so you need to use the wider focus range.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi There,
I just got a Nikon 3200 body and, on recommendation, a Sigma 17-70 Macro HSM lens with a Nikon mount. I briefly took it out today for a short field test and on two occasions it refused to focus. I presse half way down, the focus motor ran for a bit and didn't pick up the distance. The second time I turned it off and on again and then it worked. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
Thanks.

Since you have the newest Nikon DSLR and using a 3rd party lens, it has been a known issue that 3rd party lenses may not work or auto focus properly as technology changes which often requires re-programming from Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina.

Jillspinsaround

I have no idea if you have a lens problem or a camera problem but please see my post titled "Back to the factory it goes". My auto focus worked intermittently for a week or two then quit working altogether. I sent it back to Nikon and am waiting to hear from them (I hope your resolution is as simple as changing out your camera for a new one at your dealer, I wasn't so lucky.) Keep us posted as I am curious if this is going to be a trend with D3200s.

marce

Hi,
I've gor a Nikon D3200 I use it with he standard kit lens, a 5-300 Nikkor and a Tamron 60mm macro it focus OK on all the lenses, though I have noticed that the Tamron will ocasionaly hunt.

Thanks for all your messages. I got a chance to take it out for longer this early evening and it behaved much better. It refuses to focus in sport mode??? In all other modes it was OK. I will also check with Sigma to see if they know of this as a problem and I will experiment with the focus zone selection. Thans again for all your helpful replies.

JPar

Thanks for all your messages. I got a chance to take it out for longer this early evening and it behaved much better. It refuses to focus in sport mode??? In all other modes it was OK. I will also check with Sigma to see if they know of this as a problem and I will experiment with the focus zone selection. Thans again for all your helpful replies.

Sport mode = need for more light, I believe. It's a setting built for capturing things in motion, usually in brighter light. The automatic modes will behave strangely when they are in conditions they are not built for.

Start playing around with more manual settings. Use a programmed setting like the "no flash" setting and then press up on the navigation pad to see the picture's histograms, ISO settings, speed, etc. Then set your camera up manually with those settings as guidance and tweak as needed. That should solve a majority of the focus problems you have.

Learn the buttons on your camera and just start taking pictures of everything. Remember, you don't have to buy film anymore. :)

I have used the 3200 extensivly from bright sun /dark churches/disco with a 10-20mm sigma and it has never refused to focus even when the D7000 is being a pig ...I use a singe centre focus point ...