Just bought first dslr need instruction

rymahoney

Hello,
Just purchased my first dslr d5100 with 18 200 lens. Really for my wife. we are interested in learning more about the camera. Is there any good books or dvd's to purchase that will help us learn about it. id perfer dvd. Im in search for some classes in my area to get instruction but no luck yet. We live in maryland.
Thanks

eurotrash

Where in MD are you located? (Just curious, I'm in NoVa area.)
Firstly, read the manual. I know, kind of a silly thing to recommend, but important nonetheless. I have a D7k book by Darrell Young. I'm certain anything he's written will be fantastic, regardless of camera make.

Phillydog1958

Start with your owner's manual. If you happen to not have one, Nikon's website has an electronic PDF version, which you can download to your iPad or computer. Also, Youtube should have plenty of instructional videos for the D5100. There are also many books on the D5100. Good luck with your new gem.

rymahoney

thanks for quick response guys i just noticed there is a nikon class in dc in october might try that. I live in northern maryland so not to far away

rymahoney

i saw that yesterday at best buy. Had not ordered camera yet so did not get it. Found the camera online this morning 500 bucks cheaper. So ill go pick that up tomorrow

mickid

Hi,

I was in the same situation and bought the "D5100 for Dummies". Its well written, simple and full of information.

From memory it was about $35 on line

Hope it helps

Mick

§am

Nikon has two versions of it's manual. There's the user manual, and there's the reference manual.
I've been reading through the later and picking up some good tips.

One thing I'm in the process of doing with the reference manual is, as I read through it, marking pages I find useful for future use. When I get the chance I'm gonna print the bookmarked manual to A4 paper, at 4 pages per page and cut and laminate those 'useful' pages into little reminder cards which can travel in my camera bag with me at all times :)

Patrick M

Laminating those useful A4 sheets is a great idea. I did that with cheat sheets from one of the digital foto mags

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KWJams

Congratulations on the new camera and my recommendations for reading alongside the manual is Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots: Rob Sylvan: 9780321793843: Amazon.com: Books

These Snapshots to great shots series of books are written for the novice in a manner that is understandable. You don't get lost in the weeds trying to learn what things like f-stops and shutter speed mean as you learn what they do in relation to making a great capture.