Do you think you could notice the difference?

silvercreek

Do you think you could notice the difference between pictures taken with a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G and a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens?

This question probably can only be answer by someone that has used both.

I trying to decide which one I want. biggest difference is price.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I doubt it very seriously although I have not used both of them. Probably the only difference between the two would show up in the quality of bokeh they make. I would say get the 1.8 and save money. I wouldn't worry about the speed because with your 5100 you have excellent low light capability.

Now some folks will agree with me on this and others won't but study the 50mm focal length on your crop camera. I don't care to much for 50 on the crop I prefer the 28 or 35 but that is just me.

silvercreek

I doubt it very seriously although I have not used both of them. Probably the only difference between the two would show up in the quality of bokeh they make. I would say get the 1.8 and save money. I wouldn't worry about the speed because with your 5100 you have excellent low light capability.

Now some folks will agree with me on this and others won't but study the 50mm focal length on your crop camera. I don't care to much for 50 on the crop I prefer the 28 or 35 but that is just me.
I'm still an amateur but I never have been able to define in my own mind the quality of a blur. I guess I need more practice and understanding how one judges what's out of focus.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Well it is fairly simple. There is swirly bokeh, angular bokeh, smooth bokeh, etc. Some are considered more pleasing to the eye than others. Let me reiterate my last statement above - study the angle of view and field of view differences between focal lengths before you buy. If you have a kit lens set it at the respective focal lengths (28,35,50,etc) and try to determine what you like best. The reason I don't care to much for the 50 on a crop camera is I have a 105 that I use for portraits. I need the wide angle 28 to gather real estate. I have a 50 but it only gets used on my film cameras. I would imagine that if I lived near where you live I would do a lot of wildlife stuff so that would call for a long telephoto like a 300. I want to get one someday but I still need other focal lengths before I get there.

Last edited:

silvercreek

Well it is fairly simple. There is swirly bokeh, angular bokeh, smooth bokeh, etc. Some are considered more pleasing to the eye than others. Let me reiterate my last statement above - study the angle of view and field of view differences between focal lengths before you buy. If you have a kit lens set it at the respective focal lengths (28,35,50,etc) and try to determine what you like best. The reason I don't care to much for the 50 on a crop camera is I have a 105 that I use for portraits. I need the wide angle 28 to gather real estate. I have a 50 but it only gets used on my film cameras. I would imagine that if I lived near where you live I would do a lot of wildlife stuff so that would call for a long telephoto like a 300. I want to get one someday but I still need other focal lengths before I get there.

A little more pleasing to the eye like this? What lens do you think I took this with?

Attachments

• nikon 5100.jpg
    nikon 5100.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I'm going to guess it is a short tele because of the way the background is kind of smashed forward but then again it looks kind of like a normal lens too..

Stunning snap BTW...it is extremely difficult to get a good capture of a hummingbird. We have a member here that likes to shoot hummingbirds but I don't recall who it is.

silvercreek

I'm going to guess it is a short tele because of the way the background is kind of smashed forward but then again it looks kind of like a normal lens too..

Stunning snap BTW...it is extremely difficult to get a good capture of a hummingbird. We have a member here that likes to shoot hummingbirds but I don't recall who it is.

I got luck is all. That was an AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 lens with a tripod and remote.

fotojack

Stick with that 35. You don't need a 50. That 35 is really nice and sharp with great bokeh. With the crop factor, that has an equivalent focal length of 52.5mm.....perfect. :)

Eye-level

Banned
I have come to conclude that the only thing a 50 is useful for on a crop camera is taking half body portraits and maybe some types of close up/macro work. But the thing about it is you can do that kind of stuff just fine with a 28 or a 35 and even more stuff. 28 and 35 are just more versatile on a crop camera than 50. I'm sure there are more than a few people out there that like the longer throw the 50 forces you to make - they're just more comfortable with it. Not me though! Now FX is a whole different story.

silvercreek

I restore classic bicycles and like to take pictures of them.

Attachments

• nikon 5100 (2) (267x400).jpg
    nikon 5100 (2) (267x400).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited: