One lens or two lens outfit?

Disorderly

As a general statement, the greater the zoom range of a lens, the more of a compromise it is at just about every focal length. To be more specific, I have the original 18-200mm, which I bought before I became a lens snob. I hated way too many of my shots, in part because of vignetting at certain focal lengths and lighting situations and in part due to other issues. A superzoom is convenient, but your pictures will suffer.

So my answer would be the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. Or spend a lot of money for the 24-70mm F/2.8 and 70-200mm F/2.8 and then get the 10-24mm DX for landscapes. Unless you're on a full frame sensor; then get the 16-35mm F/4 as your wide angle lens instead of the 10-24mm. (Mine is on order.)

Geoffc

I have to disagree. If your starting out and want something that will fit a lot of situations get the 18-200 VR ii. It may not be perfect but it is good. I like nice glass but my 18-200 gets more time on my camera than my 70-200 2.8. No it's not as good but I know I can normally get a shot if I'm not on a specific photo mission and I'm not changing lenses all the time.

If I could only keep one lens it would be the 18-200.

grandpaw

I am very happy with my Nikon 18-200VR lens and have taken thousands of pictures with it. Having that on your camera lets you cover just about everything and not miss an opportunity by having the wrong lens on the camera. Jeff

grandpaw

It would be very helpful in giving you advice if we actually had some basis to give it on such as what camera you have, how much experience you have , what you plan on shooting and maybe even some sort of budget. We could all speculate but if we had some information to base or make a suggestion on you would get a much better answer. Jeff

Rick M

As stated, superzooms will have lower IQ than a 2-3 lens solution. You have to decide your priorities, IQ or convience. If you really want a one lens solution, I'd go with the 18-300 for a little more than the 18-200. When I first got into digital, I drooled over the 18-200 like most people and other superzooms. The more I learned, researched and shot I realized I did not shoot much over 100mm.