Lens options for new D5100: Opinions?

Maksim.7

Like so many new posters on this forum, I'm also in the market for a D5100. I've decided on the body, D5100 for sure. But now come the lens options:

Option 1:
Package deal on amazon. It includes the body, a 18-55 vr and a 55-200 vr plus other features.
http://amzn.com/B004XN6L76

Option 2:
Another package deal on amazon, and tho one includes the body, and the 18-55 vr, but instead of the 55-200, it includes a Sigma 70-300 SLD DG with autofocus. Plus other features.
http://amzn.com/B004ZL9ZPG

Option 3:
My last option has only one lens. I purchase the body separate from a site such as adorama or cameta, and then purchasing a 18-105mm vr. Someone recommended this lens to me as a great all-around lens so I wont have to switch between lenses constantly. I would then have to buy accessories separately as well.

So what to you guys think? I'm leaning towards all three options lol, and I am kind of confused at this point.

What would be the wisest option of these three? I'm guessing option 1, but what feedback on this can you guys give me?

HarryB2996

I am in the same predicament. i have purchased the D5100 with 18-55VR. i like the lense. it is good for photography of people etc. but i want a versatile lens, that's quite cheap. I want to do some recreational sports photography (rowing) and then photos of events that happen and other great shots. any ideas? Thanks.

joecap

I shop at 42st Street Photo in NY.
Call them..
Tell them you want a : D5100, 18-105 VR & 55-300 VR..
They have the losest prices..

silvercreek

Like so many new posters on this forum, I'm also in the market for a D5100. I've decided on the body, D5100 for sure. But now come the lens options:

Option 1:
Package deal on amazon. It includes the body, a 18-55 vr and a 55-200 vr plus other features.
Amazon.com: Nikon D5100 16.2 MP Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm G VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens with 55-200mm VR Lens + 32GB Card + Case + (2) Filters + Remote + Tripod + Cleaning Kit: Camera & Photo

Option 2:
Another package deal on amazon, and tho one includes the body, and the 18-55 vr, but instead of the 55-200, it includes a Sigma 70-300 SLD DG with autofocus. Plus other features.
Amazon.com: Nikon D5100 16.2MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens and Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SLD DG Macro Lens with built in motor + 16GB Deluxe Accessory Kit: Camera & Photo

Option 3:
My last option has only one lens. I purchase the body separate from a site such as adorama or cameta, and then purchasing a 18-105mm vr. Someone recommended this lens to me as a great all-around lens so I wont have to switch between lenses constantly. I would then have to buy accessories separately as well.

So what to you guys think? I'm leaning towards all three options lol, and I am kind of confused at this point.

What would be the wisest option of these three? I'm guessing option 1, but what feedback on this can you guys give me?

Option #2 looks like a fairly decent deal to me. There are so many choices of lenses. It's difficult to recommend lenses for someone else because there are so many options and factors involved.

Last edited:

§am

I'd say go for as a minimum the 18-55, then decide on whether you need the extra 100mm reach a 55-300 gives over the 55-200.
I tried both out in a local shop and came to the conclusion a 55-200 would be sufficient for my needs, and the money I saved between the two I could spend on other things.

Call places like B&H Photo, Adorama etc, as I find if you do you can haggle a little more then just buying straight over the net (personal experience, Adorama are likley to give a better offer on the phone).

The 18-105 is a good lens, but given the price of a bundled 18-55 in most kits it makes sense to buy one of those instead, in which case getting the 18-105 is not a logical choice as you've already got half your range in the kit lens.