Noob's journey !

alekhkhanna

Quite embarrassed to post these pics out here, but I'm a total noob when it comes to photography, so I guess criticisms will help me click better.

All have been clicked in the night with very little light (nothing fancy, all from the front-yard). Mostly the ISOs are bumped up (due to low light and no tripod; in the range of 2000-6400 IIRC; D5100 with a 18-105mm). No extra lighting source apart from a couple of bulbs. No flash fired in any.
Please point out the flaws so that I can shoot better. :)

XCOB5.jpg

VjE0G.jpg

^^ Apart from lighting, I think the leaf in the foreground spoils the composition.

7yHsd.jpg

urJkI.jpg

5K4g8.jpg

dwCYn.jpg

^^ Improper positioning of the plant. :|

PNvGc.jpg

I guess all of these will look a tad better if I use a tripod, tone down the ISO and use a slower shutter speed.

Eye-level

Banned
I shoot at ISO 200 always (98% of the time) and if I do change it usually to ISO 400. Maybe once in a blue moon I'll use ISO 800. I always keep my white balance at about 5500K (flash setting) or if I am indoors I'll use incandescent.

Don't be embarrassed about your photography shoot just go look at some of my stuff...horrible I tell you...LOL

alekhkhanna

Lol. I guess I can lower the ISO with a tripod (as with lower ISO the shutter stays open for a longer time under dim light, right ?) to keep images steady.
And while I did play with the WB, I still haven't figured out the Kelvin settings. But then it's just been 1 day since I owned my precious. :p

Eye-level

Banned
No. That is not how it works. Shutter speed is what controls how long the shutter stays open. You must learn the basics - aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance. Learn and understand how those four things work and work with each other and you will be well on your way to becoming a better photographer.

Eye-level

Banned
Lower ISO - daylight higher ISO - night light

Then there are gluttons for pain like me who use lower ISO at night in which case the fastest lens possible is good! :)

alekhkhanna

^^ Yeah. I did go through the Nikon Photography tutorials yday night and while they seem easy to understand, some real work has to be done while implementing them in real life.
However, what I meant to say was while selecting a lower ISO (say 100 or 200 or even 400) under A mode (lowest F value; max aperture size), noticed that the shutter opened for a longer time than say at an ISO of 2500 with the F-value.
Anyway, will go through the whole tutorial again (too many things to remember at once). Thanks ! :)

mikeh32217

I shoot at ISO 200 always (98% of the time) and if I do change it usually to ISO 400. Maybe once in a blue moon I'll use ISO 800. I always keep my white balance at about 5500K (flash setting) or if I am indoors I'll use incandescent.

Outdoors I use ISO 100 quite a bit but like you I keep it primarily on ISO 200.

fotojack

Definitely get yourself a good tripod for sharper photos. And listen to what Eye-Level says about ISO use. ISO is for light control, not shutter control.

Eye-level

Banned
I use 200 only because of the D5000...it will do lower ISO but at a loss of image quality.

Personally I believe that white balance is very important. I use the flash setting because it imparts a nice warm glow to the images.

alekhkhanna

Thanks for liking it Eye-Level and Misti Adam. Ideas/Suggestions for improvement ? What would you guys do to make these pics better ? :)

alekhkhanna

So the n00b went on a real journey.
I'm a doctor by profession and working with MSF (Medecins Sans Frontieres) currently. Got relocated to Manipur (India).
Almost all of them clicked on a road trip from Imphal to Moreh (both lying in Manipur and the later bordering with Myanmar). The journey was heavenly, with a strip of nearly 12-15 kms which is ALWAYS covered in mist with heavy winds running through it. It was probably the most gorgeous site I've ever seen, though sadly mist-y photos don't turn out to be that great. :| Also the weather throughout the trip was cloudy, so some pics might look washed out. :| And checkpoints galore (nearly 10 of them on a 160 km trip) !
While the whole trip was really scenic, unfortunately Moreh has little to offer for photography (it is quite the opposite of what you see in these pictures). :(

Sunset in Manipur. by alekhkhanna, on Flickr

Untitled by alekhkhanna, on Flickr

Lonely, I'm so lonely ! by alekhkhanna, on Flickr

The Kissing Mountains ! by alekhkhanna, on Flickr

It's a simple life ! by alekhkhanna, on Flickr