6 month boy (on location) session

New L

I took this photo on location. The dad wanted his 6 month son on the baseball field, but they didn't want him sitting on the base and getting dirty, so we put the blanket down. I really don't like the blanket-it's distracting and I also don't like the big white spot on the top of his head from the sun behind him. It was later in the day 12pm-ish, so lighting was tough. Any suggestions on how to fix the blanket and sun problems? He also fell over shortly after this-mom was trying to help me get his attention but couldn't catch him in time. Does anyone else have this problem?

Shot with Nikon D5100
f/5.6
1/1600sec
ISO-100
65mm

Thanks in advance for any info!
Michelle

Attachments

• Caden06.jpg
    Caden06.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 184
Last edited:

PhotoAV8R

Getting a shot of a baby and having the background ball field recognizable as such is a challenge. A baseball hat might help that and cure the glare off his head.

You're right about the distraction of the blanket - put him in the grass. Or, tell the parents, "It's baseball - he's supposed to get dirty."

You need a fill flash and under those lighting conditions, it would probably have to be a pretty strong one.

BWTHDIK

Dave_W

The Dude
You could fold the blanket into a pentagon so that it looks like he's sitting on home base. Also, consider shooting earlier in the morning or late afternoon. It will give the image a warmer feel as well as bring the light in from the side instead of from above. That will also remove those pesky facial shadows when the light source is directly above the subject.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Getting a shot of a baby and having the background ball field recognizable as such is a challenge. A baseball hat might help that and cure the glare off his head.

You're right about the distraction of the blanket - put him in the grass. Or, tell the parents, "It's baseball - he's supposed to get dirty."

You need a fill flash and under those lighting conditions, it would probably have to be a pretty strong one.

Perfect advice from Don. Also, I would use a wider angle lens that would let you come in close to the baby and get a lot of the ball park in the background. (I've become quite fond of them in portrait situations) As it is, he looks like he's in playground or field. Nothing "baseballish".

New L

Thanks for all the advice, I'm jotting them all down and will be doing his 1 year photos in a couple of months. I have recently purchased a diffuser and reflector and have been practicing. Hopefully these things will lend itself to these next photos being better!