Raw... Jpeg.... Raw & jpeg

RAW.... JPEG or RAW & JPEG

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TedG954

I didn't know where else to post this inquiry, so I put it here.

When you are shooting pictures, which MODE do you use PRIMARILY? Meaning, what is your camera set on right now and most of your time taking pictures. I'm trying to figure out the benefit of shooting both JPEG and RAW when it's the RAW photos that I process. What are your thoughts?

Rick M

99% of my shots are raw. When I'm shooting casual snapshots (like a birthday party for example) I will shoot Jpeg fine. I have no use for shooting them combined.

Mike150

You can probably find a few good arguments for all three methods. I use "Both". As a total amateur, I like having the RAW format for those shots I'd like to add a little more color or brightness to. My wife on the other hand wants instant access to the shot once out of the camera. When I download a memory card, my shots go to a network drive, Raw in my partition JPG in hers. This keeps her happy with a minimal amount of work for me, and we all know that when the wife is happy, life is good.

TedG954

You can probably find a few good arguments for all three methods. I use "Both". As a total amateur, I like having the RAW format for those shots I'd like to add a little more color or brightness to. My wife on the other hand wants instant access to the shot once out of the camera. When I download a memory card, my shots go to a network drive, Raw in my partition JPG in hers. This keeps her happy with a minimal amount of work for me, and we all know that when the wife is happy, life is good.

But you didn't vote in the poll. ;)

TedG954

99% of my shots are raw. When I'm shooting casual snapshots (like a birthday party for example) I will shoot Jpeg fine. I have no use for shooting them combined.

Good. So I'm assuming your "vote" was RAW ONLY. I'm leaning in that direction, though DUAL processing is why I got my 32GB card. But it won't go to waste.

KWJams

After many sleepless nights wondering if I am losing image information by not shooting in RAW which keeps me up late processing mediocre pictures into JPEGS ---- I found a solution that works.

My camera is set to JPEG Fine and my F/N button is set to RAW :)

This way I don't slow my card down and if there is a shot that comes up that begs for some RAW tweaking the option is instantly available at my finger tips --- plus I am not as tired anymore. ;)

Dave_W

The Dude
I can't come up with a good reason to shoot in JPEG since you can easily change a RAW image into a JPEG image but you can't change a JPEG into a RAW. With that in mind, shooting in JPEG only is risking miss that one amazing shot that comes around every once in awhile and always unexpectedly and shooting in JPEG/RAW seems like excessive duplication.

Disorderly

I shoot RAW + JPEG and have done so since I switched to RAW. I use the JPEGs to choose which images to edit, and to make catalogues so models can pick out their favorites. That's just faster, and I delete the JPEGs as soon as I'm done with them. My permanent copies, and the ones I edit, are the RAWs.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I shot a lot using both for a year and found myself not using the JPGS and a lot of wasted disk space. So for the last 9 months RAW only and have not missed a JPG once.

deano

raw all the way. shoot raw and learn photoshop. you can turn your photographs from bad to good and good to amazing. i :)

§am

Currently doing jpeg's only, but want to switch to RAW (or RAW and jpeg).

Any recommendations for good (free) RAW to jpg converters.
Also have another related question, but will start a different topic for that.

Dave_W

The Dude
Currently doing jpeg's only, but want to switch to RAW (or RAW and jpeg).

Any recommendations for good (free) RAW to jpg converters.
Also have another related question, but will start a different topic for that.

ViewNX (Nikon) or GIMP (shareware) both do a good job for the price (free).

AC016

"When you are shooting pictures, which MODE do you use PRIMARILY? Meaning, what is your camera set on right now and most of your time taking pictures."
Well, i have mine set on Aperture Mode and leave it there most of the time. If you are asking about picture format, i shoot Jpeg fine :D

deano

And just to give some beginners and idea of the advantages of RAW, i have posted an image below. As you can see the image on the left was shot in RAW and is pretty crappy looking. But because i have shot in RAW i can go into Photoshop CS5(Which you can get for free) and tinker with the image to make it half decent. If i shot in JPEG i wouldn't of been given the options to make the image as good as i wanted it

helen1.jpg