A Couple of Airplane shots....

Photowyzard

I don't see a lot of images posted from guys with D800's. What's up? Is this the forum to post them in or should I be looking at another part of Nikonites?

Caught these two images today while I was down by the lake. The Canadian National Exhibition is on and there is an air show every day until it closes. The B&W image is of a Canadian Forces jet about to refuel.

Yellow-Plane.jpg

ReFuel.jpg

Photowyzard

I like that second shot a lot. Looks cool with the shadow effect. How did you do it?

Both these shots were taken in a panic. I hear the planes, I look up and shot. No prep time. That is bad. I was out looking to get some more Egret shots and was, at the time, mesmerized by a Night Heron gobbling a fish. Got a have decent shot of it and the planes flew over head.

The first was the yellow plane. Nothing spectacular here, just turned it into a jpg and cropped it.

The second one was a tad under exposed because of the camo on the tanker and most likely because I had to shoot low in the sky.

This was a chance shot and I only got two off because the trees came into play. Very upsetting as this was a cool opportunity missed. I had no idea they were flying.

I think processed it in B&W and beefed the contrast a bit. Thats it. jpg, post.....

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't see a lot of images posted from guys with D800's. What's up? Is this the forum to post them in or should I be looking at another part of Nikonites?

Hi Art - I am probably guilty of this but most of the pictures that I take are pictures from friends and family. I try not to post any of them for privacy reasons.

There are times that the subjects that are available in my area aren't really worth posting, so I hesitate in posting them most of the time.

Using my photography equipment already provides me a great deal of satisfaction, so posting them to forums is just secondary. I post most of my pictures on my flickr account and I try to alternate using my other cameras between my Fuji X10, D80 IR, D7000 and D800E and various lens combinations.

That kinda explain why I don't post a lot of the pictures here.

Photowyzard

Glenn,

I never post family or friends as well for the same reasons. Occasionally, I may post one of my daughter, and typically, it is one she posts on Facebook or the like.

My primary photography is nature, macro, architecture or something interesting. My biggest thrill in photography is seeing other peoples amazing images and trying to learn from them so I can take better pictures myself.

I also enjoy the feedback, hoping to learn from it.

Photowyzard

I use a Nikon 1.4EII TC on the 300 almost all the time. There is almost no IQ lost at all. It is extremely high quality glass.

I use the 1.4 because it has contacts and full AF and metering.

The 2.0 TC is manual, no contacts so no AF. I purchased it to use with my 500mm Reflex lens and that is the only lens I have tried it on. It too is good glass.

I have noticed that the focus on the 300 with the TC on it is slower, that is my only complaint.

Billy Y.

I have the TC 17E II, I was suprised that it does meter and autofocus on my 70-200 VR I - and I can get some fairly sharp images from it, but it still isn't anywhere near enough reach. I wonder how the 1.7 does on the 300, that would be a goood amount of reach especially in DX mode. Once you got used to tracking in the smaller View finder area. One interesting thing a read about the 800 and tracking birds or sports in DX mode (I think it was at Ken Rockwell) is you can put it on Auto focus tracking and those 51 points fill almost the entire DX area - Ken was saying it works so well he was getting almost no throw away images because of sharpness. His point was that the auto focus tracking between the 51 points was much quicker and better than trying to pick a point and keep that point on the bird in flight. I haven't tried it yet but in theory I can see what he is saying.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I use a Nikon 1.4EII TC on the 300 almost all the time. There is almost no IQ lost at all. It is extremely high quality glass.

I use the 1.4 because it has contacts and full AF and metering.

The 2.0 TC is manual, no contacts so no AF. I purchased it to use with my 500mm Reflex lens and that is the only lens I have tried it on. It too is good glass.

I have noticed that the focus on the 300 with the TC on it is slower, that is my only complaint.

Now Art, does the 1.4 TC works with the 300 AF or does it have to be An AF-S? I'm waiting to get one for the lens I got from you.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have the TC 17E II, I was suprised that it does meter and autofocus on my 70-200 VR I - and I can get some fairly sharp images from it, but it still isn't anywhere near enough reach. I wonder how the 1.7 does on the 300, that would be a goood amount of reach especially in DX mode. Once you got used to tracking in the smaller View finder area. One interesting thing a read about the 800 and tracking birds or sports in DX mode (I think it was at Ken Rockwell) is you can put it on Auto focus tracking and those 51 points fill almost the entire DX area - Ken was saying it works so well he was getting almost no throw away images because of sharpness. His point was that the auto focus tracking between the 51 points was much quicker and better than trying to pick a point and keep that point on the bird in flight. I haven't tried it yet but in theory I can see what he is saying.

I was never happy with the 70-200mm VRI with TC. The VRII works much better in the IQ department. I've seen some great shots with the 300mm f4 with 1.4 TC. Some reports some IQ degradation when you use a 1.7 TC and 2.x TCIII but you'll have to stop it down a bit to get the optimal sharpness.

Photowyzard

Now Art, does the 1.4 TC works with the 300 AF or does it have to be An AF-S? I'm waiting to get one for the lens I got from you.

I wish I could answer that with certainty. I went through my images taken with the old 300, non show a TC in the Meta Data.

When I start to show a 300D, I also see I was using the 1.4. The specs for the 1.4TC read AF-S and AF-I lenses. My advice, visit the LCS with the 300mm and put it on the camera and see how it works.

If it does work, you will have a hard time removing it! When I put mine on the 300, it almost became permanent fixture.

Billy Y.

this is with the 70-200 vr 1 at about 50 feet away with the tc 1.7(340mm focal length), I thought it was pretty good IQ wise, not as good as some shots ive seen with the 300 and 300 with 1.4, but certianly usable.

DSC_0851.jpg

Photowyzard

How is this?

:)

Grasshopper.jpg

Maybe, 15 feet away. Enough so I could focus. Hand held. This grass hopper flew on my daughters arm. She loves bugs and held her arm up so I could take the picture. Maybe, 12% crop.

300 + 1.4 = 420mm :)

What do you think?