Old new 20mm f3.5 Ais

Pierro

First time using the 20mm Ais in anger here with a ' check it out ' snap. Dont be alarmed at the weird subject matter ! In our apartment block ( US jargon ) we have a communal / common room where residents can get together and get wasted on Gin , JD, Lemonade , Milk etc, and the room can also be let out for greenbacks to help fund the running costs ( lectric, gas , lighting, heat ), so this knitting group of old ladies hires it once a week so they can knit blankets and clothing for the worlds under priveleged kids. They wanted me to take photos of their work so it could go in the magazine. Anyways - i shot the first one, and was amazed at the quality of this old beaten up glass

Photo 2 is a 100% crop of No.1 , shot in RAW with no sharpening whatsoever

ISO 200, F4, 1/80th. The EXIF is wrong cos it says 105mm ( my 105 Ais f2.5 ) and although NON CPU data is added in the menu for both 105 Ais and 20 Ais, i forgot to change from the 105 to the 20mm.

Knit1.jpg

Knit1 crop.jpg

Pierro

Rick, Jeff, i'll see what i can about the colour and geometry - my sincere apple ogies ;)

Yeah, great aren't they ?

Damn......i love it already

Rick M

BTW, you really don't have to make up stories about old ladies to show off your knitting to us. While the color scheme may scream insecurity, It's ok to be open with us. How about posting a pic with the needles in action? :)

AxeMan - Rick S.

BTW, you really don't have to make up stories about old ladies to show off your knitting to us. While the color scheme may scream insecurity, It's ok to be open with us. How about posting a pic with the needles in action? :)

Guess we'll have to keep an eye on that What's your other hobby thread for some knitting pic's posted by Pierro then we'll know for sure.:p

Great detail from that lens, have fun with it. Take a couple of photo's for the ladies, and you'll have a friend forever. Trust me.

Eye-level

Banned
Now that you say that 30mm crop action sounds like a great daylight walk around street lens. Zone focus that baby so you don't have to spin the focus ring every time sounds like it would be fun to test out. I can't wait to see you get out and about with it. You know really Pete you need to quit hanging around with old women some folks might get the wrong impression and start wondering about where all your extra money comes from. LOL :)

Pierro

Well now my secret moonlighting job is out, i'll have to pay tax :cool:

Yup, I think you're right Jeff. I reckon this little baby will make a good walk around street lens, rather than a landscaper. Focusing at 6ft using f11 gives DOF from around 3 ft to infinity - not a lot of ring spinning to do there, but of course extreme DOF is not always wanted, so i may have to tweak it once in a while.

It seems to focus past infinity, and i guess this is common, but i may try to find some info on the net about correcting that

Pierro

Shot this earlier this evening from my 2nd floor balcony, just to see what FOV looks like
24nl8vr.jpg

Last edited:

Pierro

Great find, cheers - interesting read. 1ft you say !??!!?

They reckon use reverse mount ring and get serious with the macro :wink-new:

Pierro

Your wish is my command sire...

No.1 - full pic, resized. No.2 - 100% crop

No PP at all, nothing. Just straight RAW, converted to JPG

Wide open ( f3.5 ) ISO 320, 1/2 second SS, distance measured at 10" from end of lens, to NIKON badge on my D2x

D2x & 20mm.jpg
D2x & 20mm Crop.jpg

Last edited:

Pierro

It doesnt look like it, but i was angled down on the D2x, and the D2x was also slightly at an angle horizontally, so this may account for the slightly softer area at the bottom and left of the D2x

Eye-level

Banned
1/2 second shutter speed? Damn.

Close up it is a pretty razor thin DOF. She is pretty crisp. It would definitely make a good insect and flower shooter.

So what is the story on this gem Pete? Where did it come from and what did you pay? I see on the bay the faster 20 brings pretty big bucks.

Pierro

Yup Jeff - seems pretty sharp at max ap up close. I suspect, though i cant be sure till I shoot some more distant subjects, but I reckon close is its forte

It came from Fleabay UK, £125 ...but it was cheap cos it has a blemish on the rear optic. It doesnt affect the files at all, so it appears. The last unblemished one went for £300 recently on Fleaybay UK. They are £200 + in the States, and as you say, the f2.8 is even more coin