Just got a D7000!

alex_c

Hi All,

Thanks to all the great comments on this forum and after several visits to Ritz and Best Buy to feel the D7000 and compare it to my D5100, I was almost sure I wanted to upgrade to the D7000, and then, when the price dropped below $1000, I just couldn't hold out any more and got it. What a fantastic camera! After a few minutes I felt like I've had it for months, with all the controls right at my fingertips, without having to fumble thru menus to change settings while keeping my eye on the viewfinder. Also, I love the speed and accuracy of the AF.

By the way, it does take some reading and understanding exactly how this AF works, but once you know how to use it correctly, it does a great job.

I just got started in this hobby a few weeks ago, but I think I am hooked! ;)

And to complement the 7K, I also got the new 18-300mm DX lens. Also another great purchase. Not having to change lenses all the time between the 18-55 and 55-300 is well worth the extra weight.

My next purchase, perhaps the 50mm or the 35mm 1.8D lens. I'm leaning towards the 50mm...

And finally, here's a pic I took of the moon tonight, as it was a perfect full moon on a very clear sky.

ISO 100, 280mm, f/11, 1/100" Tungsten WB.

I would love to hear comments about the choices I made on the exposure: I selected f/11 to maximize sharpness (or at least that's what Peterson says in Understanding Exposure...) and still was able to use a fast shutter speed to try to avoid blur at 1/100. Also selected ISO 100 to have the maximum contrast. Finally, used the remote with delayed exposure to reduce vibration to a minimum.

Cheers!

Alex.

blue_moon2.jpg

Last edited:

Kamesh

Congrats on the purchase. A wise selection and also the lens.

I got mine about a month ago and enjoy it everyday. please share your knowledge :)

I never used AF till date as I use complete manual Mode.

From my Galaxy S2 (Tapatalk 2)

if you use manual mode 24/7 you must have loads of time between shots ... perhaps you can explain why you use this mode .clearly you never covered an indian wedding

Last edited:

Kamesh

Yo,
I take photos that interest me. I shoot my kids when playing. That too in manual Mode. Captured some bird shots which you can see in my gallery in manual Mode. Then I came to know that bird shots are done with AF on, LOL. I had covered my sister's wedding last January with my old point and shoot in manual Mode, :p

Kamesh

I had taken few shots which the official photographer was shocked to see. Will share them in this thread in the evening once I reach home

alex_c

Wait, you still have a Ritz camera?

There are only a couple left, and from what I saw, I don't think they will last much longer...

I was just about to buy my D7K from them, but to offset the tax a little bit, I just asked them to throw in a tripod ($40) and they wouldn't budge. Needless to say I walked out and ordered online.

alex_c

I had taken few shots which the official photographer was shocked to see. Will share them in this thread in the evening once I reach home

Kamesh, not to be rude, but why don't you better start a new thread to share your pics?

Dooku77

All of them in CT were closed down, so I use to drive to Natick,MA sometimes to go to the Ritz there. Sadly last month they were having a going out of business sale.

alex_c

I guess they became a showroom for people to try the cameras before buying online somewhere else. How do you compete with lower prices, no tax, free shipping and better selection online???

By the way, during my visit to Best Buy they had a D800 ($3,000) on display with no lens. They had just remodeled the store, and the insides of the camera were all dusty and full of fingerprints.

What a way to ruin something great due to laziness.

Kamesh

I am still in office and what I meant was to post in a new thread with reference to this thread

eurotrash

Just made the same move this afternoon! Congrats to us both! I just couldn't hold out for whatever possibly will come out later in the year. I went with the 16-85 a few weeks ago, however. Different strokes for different folks they say. :)
I'm already very impressed by the hardware over the 5100 which I traded in for a measly $330 to put towards the D7k. (Another part of the reason I had to pull the trigger. The 5100 I thought, would depreciate too much if I waited much longer)

alex_c

Just made the same move this afternoon! Congrats to us both! I just couldn't hold out for whatever possibly will come out later in the year. I went with the 16-85 a few weeks ago, however. Different strokes for different folks they say. :)
I'm already very impressed by the hardware over the 5100 which I traded in for a measly $330 to put towards the D7k. (Another part of the reason I had to pull the trigger. The 5100 I thought, would depreciate too much if I waited much longer)

Congrats! Yes, indeed, this is a fantastic camera. The 5100 was very good, but this one is GREAT!

Patrick M

I'm puzzled by how you've only been doing this for a few weeks, yet you've already upgraded from a D5100 to a D7000

I'd have thought the the D5100 was camera enough for a newby....like me...for a couple of years anyway

:)

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

alex_c

Hahaha. Just don't tell my wife... ;)

Yes, I am a little obsessed. I got the 5100 and in a few weeks I read 3 books and watched 2 learning videos. After that, I felt like I had discovered a whole new world... and loved it!

Also, the fact that I was still under the 60 day return policy from Crutchfield and the 7000 came down another $100 made the switch a lot easier. I don't know if would have done it otherwise. But I am glad I did! ;)

In any case, I think that the 5100 is great, but I just got a little frustrated having to change most of the settings via a menu instead than dedicated buttons.