Macro with kit lens

PaulBoyoWhite

Hi
I thought my first post after my hello would be a question.
I have had my D3100 for a week.I would like to try some practice macro shots with the standard kit lens.What sort of settings would you recommend .
Do i stay at 18 mm and go in very close or do I stand away and go closer with the lens as in 50mm.
Although I am a newbie to Dslr I have used a bridge camera before but never thought the picture quality came out as good as my other point and shoot.

I have decided to approach Dslr as a complete Newbie and learn from the ground up.

N_Addy

Getting focus at close ranges will be your limiting factor. Experiment with focus at 18 and 55 (I assume you have an 18-55?) and see how close you can get.

One way to do close-up with a non-macro lens is to use an extension tube between the camera and lens. This increases the focal length and lets you get in closer. I haven't done this myself but I've seen examples from those who have. It works fairly well.

EDIT: Note that less expensive extension tubes disable your auto-focus capability. You'll need to manual focus with them.

Last edited:
The kit lens with the 3100 does not do very well with macro. I have tried many time and was always disappointed. Ended up just buying a macro lens and love it.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
The term "Macro" is not the same as "close up" photography. People use them interchangeably but they are in fact different terms. In general, a kit lens will not give you a macro image, per se, but will give you a very nice close up image. In order to produce a true "macro" image you have to achieve a 1:1 ratio with the subject and the resulting image. In otherwords, the image has to be equal to, or larger than, the size of the subject you are shooting.

N_Addy

And don't forget the Tamron 90. Good lens with more working distance than the 60. Thom Hogan gives it very good reviews.

Working distance is important if you plan to shoot bugs and critters. They get nervous when you are in their face.

Geoffc

And don't forget the Tamron 90. Good lens with more working distance than the 60. Thom Hogan gives it very good reviews.

Working distance is important if you plan to shoot bugs and critters. They get nervous when you are in their face.

I bought my wife the Tamron a few years ago. It's a great lens for the money. We subsequently borrowed a 105 VR Nikon for the day and took turns using each. We both preferred the Tamron at the end of the day. No VR, slower to focus and not quite the same build, but excellent IQ and value for money. My wife has a 1.4 kenko TC on hers at all time and the IQ is still great.

Rick M

The nikon 40mm micro is a fun little lens for about $279. Not a good bug lens, but very sharp and great if you just occasionally dabble in macro.

slowpoke

I use my 18-55 kit lens and reverse ring on my D90.I wedge the aperture open with a piece of plastic.Put the D90 on manual and have fun. 211 (1024x685).jpg
Just a thought.