D7100 D5100 replacement battery

bigdaddysam

P7100 D5100 replacement battery

This replacement battery enel14 is not always easy to find, Most of the time you get what you pay for. There are several knock-offs for the Nikon EN-EL14, but not all of them will work with the D5100.Since the D5100 does not use AA of AAA batteries, it is best to have a spare that you can rely on during that special trip or that special moment. The EN-EL14 fits the bill. It is reliable and will deliver what it claims.When I got my D5100 and started using it. I was taken back by how quickly the battery ran down - on the first charge of the battery. I was concerned about the use of Live View, I have recently started doing night time, time lapses of the stars with about 300-400 photos of 10-15 second exposures, everything seems to be working fine after the second charge and as-necessary use of Live View. I shot 100 pix per day for several days with no change in the camera's battery level indicator.Great battery, highly recommended!http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092ZPHFM

Last edited:
best way to solve your problems is to get a third party grip that holds 2 batteries thats about $40 a battery for a P7000 is about $10 and will work fine if you fit the genuine battery first and always keep one battery in the camera.....either genuine or $10 does not matter but keep one in 24/7

AC016

I am very hesistant in putting 3rd party batteries into my camera. I had the experienced the same thing with my battery in my 5100 when i first bought it. It did not last long on the first charge. But, now it lasts as long as what Nikon states it should last, if not a bit more. Of course live-view will drain your battery much quicker, just like any other device with an LCD screen. I guess i am just a snob when it comes to 3rd party gear or lesser known brands. I see it this way: if your 3rd party battery starts to leak inside your camera, what will Nikon tell you when you go to have your camera repaired? Just think about it for a moment. If the same thing happens to your Nikon battery, there won't be as much hassle.

The third party battery cannot leak in your camera because it will not work in the camera ..you need the cheap grip to use a the cheap battery....I have d3100 grip which fits my D3200..... no problems used every week as back up at weddings

joecap

Same here. I have a Grip on my D5100. I keep one Nikon and one 3rd part battery in it. never had any issues.
I have 4 3rd party Batteries and all hold there charge just a good as the Nikon.
The only issue I do have with the 3rd party batteries is that alone in the camera Nikon will not recognize them because of a special chip Nikon puts in there batteries.

AC016

The third party battery cannot leak in your camera because it will not work in the camera ..you need the cheap grip to use a the cheap battery....I have d3100 grip which fits my D3200..... no problems used every week as back up at weddings

I was only using that as an example and not necessarily refering to the 5100. But for older Nikons, the battery grip by-pass is not necessary. I have a D80 and i would still not use a 3rd party battery in it - and yes, it would work, no need for the battery grip by-pass. The battery in the grip may well leak and cause a short circuit. Hey, even Nikon batteries have been re-called for potential overheating. But again, i am just a snob and will not go away from OEM.

stmv

I have purchased 3rd party batteries for my D300/700, at the amazing price of 10 dollars each (0n sell at Amazon), and at first only would used them as emergency, but over time, I found them to be very fine, holding charge as well as the OEM battery, and overall was pleased to spend the money on other gear.

I have purchased nonOEM on the new Sealed battery, so, don't know if the knockoffs are as good as the older batteries.

bigdaddysam

It's total works ok, and approved for 1 week using.they will perform like the Nikon original, displaying the remaining battery life on the camera. They are fully compatible with the Nikon camera and charger.
85DFC7A49B764EBDA5397E182998D00B.jpg

dont confuse people big daddy .the cheap batteies for the P7000 will only work in a grip.....words like "they" only cause confusion about what you mean..do you mean a $10 P7000 battery ?
See you only posted twice so welcome and pictures always help

Sandpatch

I am very hesistant in putting 3rd party batteries into my camera. ...

Me too. I paid good money for my D5100 and figured that trying non-Nikon batteries to save a few dollars would make little sense. It's like trying a cheap oil filter on a fine car to save $3. I bought a second Nikon battery and have been very pleased with the battery life on these. An excellent investment.

did it not occure to you that all these battery cells are made in the same factory (or very few) and some get put in Nikon cases with the coding chip and some in cases not marked nikon with the charge/discharge PCB only ????

AC016

did it not occure to you that all these battery cells are made in the same factory (or very few) and some get put in Nikon cases with the coding chip and some in cases not marked nikon with the charge/discharge PCB only ????

Ah yes, the old "they are all made in same place anyhow" theory. Well, it is true to a certain extent, just like there is not hundreds of companies that make LCD screens (the actual screen, not the finished product), yet there are hundreds of companies who sell LCD monitors/TVs. It is all about the finished product. So, you have Nikon gettting batteries made on assembly line A and XYZ company having theirs made on assmebly line B. Nikon puts in place some strict guidlines of how the product should be put together and how materials should be handled. They also put in strict testing guidelines. Company XYZ says to just put the batteries together, we just want to sell them. Of course, this is hypothetical. However, the next time you visit a battery factory out in Asia somewhere, then you can tell us the truth. Oh wait, that will probably not happen. You can't sell me that "they are made in the same factory" without first providing me with solid proof. OEM parts all the way :)

silvercreek

With an expensive camera like the 5100 and 7000, I don't think it's worth the risk using a third party battery just to save a few bucks.

John P

Re: P7100 D5100 replacement battery

To each thier own I guess.
I have been using 3rd party batteries for 10 years. In 3 different Nikon cameras. Not 1 single problem.

Jonathan

I thought I had a third party battery with my grip and just checked to see its make. It's Nikon! It only cost £32 so I don't really see what the issue is. Still, as John P says, each to their own. I rotate it out with the one in the body, by the way, each time they get charged in my double battery charger. I also rotate the SD cards in the slots when I transfer photos off.