What to do with my MF lenses now?

jrgii

First Post, been lurking for while... I have a D7000 with the kit 18-105 lens, MF 50mm 1.8 Nikor, Series E MF 28mm 2.8 and just picked up the 35mm 1.8G. I have tons of overlap in the lower focal range. I would like to know if you guys think I should sell my old MF lenses or keep them?

SamSpade1941

If you don't think you are ever going to use them, thats something you will have to ultimately decide, I personally love primes and look for them when I can find them. It really boils down to what you think you will end up using. I don't mind the older lenses even though everyone tells me the newer ones are superior.

Carolina Photo Guy

First Post, been lurking for while... I have a D7000 with the kit 18-105 lens, MF 50mm 1.8 Nikor, Series E MF 28mm 2.8 and just picked up the 35mm 1.8G. I have tons of overlap in the lower focal range. I would like to know if you guys think I should sell my old MF lenses or keep them?

It depends on how much you want for them. If they are really cheap, sell them to me!

I've been looking for some E series lenses.

jrgii

Understood, it wasn't my intention to start a for sale post. The question was brought up and I responded. I would like to see others opinions of keeping these lenses vs letting them go. As these are pretty common lenses I thought others may have been in the same situation and I am looking for advice based on their experiences.

stmv

I like throwing some manual primes into my cargo pockets, see no reason to get rid of them, and when you want total contol with the perfect feel of the manual focus,, I mean the range of the focus ring is so much more precise, well, hard to beat the old Nikkor lens.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have a few old Nikkor MF lenses but honestly they only get used about once or twice a year. The AF just makes it more convenient to shoot.

I am interested with the Voightlander or Zeiss lenses though.

fotojack

Some day, in the not-too-distant future, you may regret selling those lenses. Why not hang onto them and see what develops with your photography as time goes by. Just a suggestion. :)

Sambr

What ya do is find a gunny sack fill it up with all your MF glass make sure you tie it good and tight attache a 27 1/2 foot rope to it. Then drive down to your local "boat store" buy yourself a 20 foot turbo diesel Harbour Craft jet boat. Get the picture. You now have a great" "boat anchor" made from your old glass :)

Eye-level

Banned
KEH is a good place to get a value. The 50/1.8 is a very good lens especially if it is a Nikkor. The 28 E is not the same as the 28 Nikkor and nothing special really. With the 35/1.8 I think I would sell the 50 and 28 and buy some other gear.