Depth of Field on D7000

Kamesh

Dear friends,

where can I know much about this topic. I did use the button at the front bottom of the camera by increasing the f value. I do not know anything about this DOF but I managed to get that in few and not so much of bokeh in few.

For example, you can see my gallery for my daughter or son's pic where the background was completely thrown out making the subject perfect attention. Then, the pic which I submitted for weekly challenge August 14-26, the charcoal iron press. In this pic, the wall and the plants were there and not completely faded out.

I want to know under what circumstances this can be achieved with kit 18-105. You can also suggest me links from where I can learn instead of wasting your precious time :)

From my Galaxy S2 (Tapatalk 2)

Mike150

I can't tell you any one specifically, but if you google search Depth of Field, you will get several thousands of hits. Start looking at them
Meanwhile, find the DOF Preview button on your D7000. It should be just below the lens on the left side as you are looking at the front of the camera. Then look through the viewfinder, and press the button You will see a change showing what is and is not in focus. Change the F setting and repeat to see what changes.

Kamesh

I saw that yesterday and played with the button.

I came to the conclusion that the lesser the f value the greater the DOF. Correct me if am wrong!

From my Galaxy S2 (Tapatalk 2)

thosdmg

Hi Kamesh

In general: the higher the figure of your f-stop is the wider the DoF - means: F 22 has a wider DoF than f 8 for example.

I agree to Mike and cnyram you should read about this topic in case you never learned about it before.

Topics to search for would be depth of field - hyperfocal distance - diffraction as these things are all affected by the value of your f-stop.

I also suggest playning with your camera and try the different settings on the same target and then compare on your PC.
Displaying the meta data when comparing the pictures will give you a good idea about the relationship between f-stop and DoF

Enjoy you learning, there's a lot of fun making progress!

Kamesh

Okay, I tried this about an hour ago
I tested some shots with 105mm zoom and f5.6. The background was completely out of focus (bokeh!). When I increased the f value to 6 and so on, the picture got darker. Then simultaneously while increasing the f value i also increased the ISO. I noticed that the background started to appear more clear as the f value is increased.
Thought picking a Camera and shooting is sooo fun, but, phew, it's like that uncracked subject during school days :( haha

At present, this diffraction is above my head... need to study

AC016

Hehehe, nice to see you are enjoying learning about your camera. Kind of sucks that you have to know a bit of math to do this photography thing though :(

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
We are talking basic photography 101 here. I think you could probably go to your local library and get some photography books that would explain all that and more. If you try to learn only by questioning this forum, there will be many things that you'll forget to ask...

Time, it takes time and practice. I wish I could give you all my knowledge in a simple sentence, but it just does not work that way. Sorry.

put your camera on A and adjust the aperture for F4 (min shutter speed 1/30 Iso 100-6400 ) then save the settings to U1 now every time you want the background out of focus select U1 .the shutter speed and iso will adjust automatically for the light conditions....I use that for photos of wedding rings with the best man behind out of focus.

Last edited:

davewpy

Suggest you understand Aperture, Shutter and ISO relativity.

Focal length (sensor size affects) and aperture = DOF

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Sine

In the matter of fact, this is very simple and I know, you will be smileing on this questions very sun! Don't worry, this is the easyest part of making a good photos! Good luck and enjoy your camera.