Nikon 500mm f8 Mirror Reflex Lens + others

Photowyzard

I have had a Nikon Mirror Reflex lens for a couple of years or less. I won some money in Las Vegas and picked one up with the winnings.

I am still trying to figure it out. I believe this lens has excellent potential and is great value for the money but it is nothing compare to a standard, prime lens in terms of image quality.

However, if you only print 4x6, this is something you should consider as an option. I will review my findings for those who don't have one or know what this is.

These lenses use a mirror instead of glass to project an image to your camera sensor. It works the same as a telescope. With a lens, you get a very narrow depth of field and they are hard to focus on some cameras.

The advantage to these lenses are they are light, very inexpensive and you can get them in 500mm to 800mm for under $200!

The do have a funky, donut shaped bokeh on reflected light that seems to bother some.

When I had my D90, I got some mixed results with my Nikon. With my D800, I am newly inspired to give this lens another go or buy a 3rd party brand that offers 800mm versions.

Here are some sample photos taken with my Nikon 500mm f8 C Mirror Reflex lens. Feel free to add your images and any images from 3rd party lenses. I would be most interested in seeing your photos and hearing what you think.

Images taken with a D800:

Gull-(2)-500.jpg

Gull-500.jpg

Images taken with a D90

Lighthouse.jpg

SouthWest02.jpg

Last edited:

Pierro

Its no mean feat to get good shots of wildlife with a mirror lens, so well done. They are hard to control due to their light weight and short dimensions which in reality, makes vibrations more apparent, which is where the weight of a large regular refractor lens actually has an advantage, though some really dont like that weight

There is also the fact that due to the anomolies in their construction, their stated fixed aperture is usally a bit smaller

The donuts only appear on the OOF highlights rather than any highlights. They can be fixed to some degree in Post, but for many they are ugly.

stmv

I like the gem of the old Nikkor 500 mirror, a real quality workmanship, but not a lens to be rough with. F8 single aperature, but in daylight, can get decent shots, and I have also done some moon shots.

I personally have not use it that much, but I should dig it out,, and play some.

usually they cost between 300-500 dollars depending upon condition. For a lens collector, they are kinda hard to resist.

That possum shot is cute.

Photowyzard

The possum was shot on my backyard fence. You can imagine my surprise when I saw it. I had no idea what it was, I guessed. Never seen one in Toronto before. It just sat there, frozen. It was easy taking the picture.

I know what you mean about collecting. I couldn't resist buying mine and I can't seem to make myself sell it. WEIRD! I will probably pick up an 800mm somewhere, when I find a deal.

For anyone reading this, it has been mentioned, these are NOT easy lenses to focus! You have to really like using them as they are a challenge. Now, having said this, my D800 makes it a breeze to focus. It has a focus • on the lower left side of the screen and little < arrows > help guide you to the sweet spot. 100% better than before (well, for me before was my D90).

I have more info I will post as I go along. One chap online has posted a way to get more out of the Mirror Reflex. His name is:

Thomas Padeiski
Here is a link to Mirror profiles for your camera and CHIPPING a Mirror Reflex to fool your D90 camera:

http://pindelski.org/Photography/download-lens-profiles/

Adding a CPU to MF Nikkor lenses

Here is a cool link to making a Mirror Reflex even better!

Making the Reflex Nikkor sing | Photographs, Photographers and Photography

I hope this topic will ignite some interest and get some people who have one to share some images and insights.

Thanks,

Photowyzard

Here are some links to companies that sell 3rd Party Mirror Reflex Lenses:

Rokinon 500mm f8 + a 2x Teleconverter
$136 shipped in the USA
- well priced
- comes with a 2x teleconverter for two times the trouble! ;)
- I have a 2x Nikon Teleconverter and it is that much harder to keep it still to focus!
- see my moon shot with a 1000mm combo below!

Rokinon 500mm/ 1000mm Mirror Lens for Nikon | Overstock.com

Rokinon 800mm f8 lens
$226 shipped in the USA

Rokinon 800mm F/8.0 Mirror Lens for Nikon Mount | Overstock.com

Optika.com $110 plus shipping
- a USA based company, I have played with their lenses in their trade show booth in Las Vegas. They are light, and nice and bright
- not the same solid, tank like feel of a Nikon but for this money, this is really a disposable item to me! Use it, have fun with it

Opteka 500mm f/8 High Definition Telephoto Mirror Lens for Digital SLR Cameras

You can always try Craig's list and meet FACE TO FACE from someone who is disgruntled with theirs and you might get it for much less!

The Nikon Lenses, unfortunately, are either eBay purchases or a camera store that sells them used. They are more expensive because they are substantially better quality in terms of build. I am not sure yet if they take a better picture!

Lets try to find that out here!

:)
Moon.jpg

Last edited:

Photowyzard

Jeff,

I don't want to over sell this lens. Be aware, they are tough to focus and you have to want to play with it to get a good shot. They are great sunny day lenses.

The are great for objects standing still. They are absolutely not great for sports or car races or the like.

But, if used right, they will give you reach and give you a decent image.

Eye-level

Banned
If I could get a deer at 100-150 yards or a hawk at 50-75 yards I'd be happy. I don't have a tripod so I am still a few stops away from being set up and able to use it.

I'm dead dog grimy dirt used to focusing sir and I am not the best in the world at it either but I do understand what you are saying. :)

Photowyzard

Here is a better moon shot! This is with my 500mm and my Nikon 2x, TC 200 Teleconverter!

This image is also taken with my Nikon D90:

500mm x2.jpg

I mounted the lens on my tripod, used the mirror up feature, put it on remote and fired the shot.

Focusing was done in Live View, it is the only way to do it without giving yourself a Migraine!

Every image posted here has PP done in either Nikon Capture NX2 and/or Photoshop, mostly to sharpen.

All images shot in RAW. Typically, that is all I shoot. Some cropping is involved but it is less than you would expect.

Last edited:

Photowyzard

If I could get a deer at 100-150 yards or a hawk at 50-75 yards I'd be happy. I don't have a tripod so I am still a few stops away from being set up and able to use it.

I'm dead dog grimy dirt used to focusing sir and I am not the best in the world at it either but I do understand what you are saying. :)

If the deer is standing still, no problem. If the hawk is perched, no problem.

If they are moving... I would say... FORGET ABOUT IT! You will have to be a magician to pull that off!

I would say, the tripod is a must. I have taken hand held, the POSSUM for one. All you need is a really high shutter speed or leaning against something will do it as well. Something to brace yourself may not always be available.

Trust me, no matter what you are used to, this lens will challenge your skills! It may be f8, but it is shallow DoF. So, your focus has to be spot on!

Last edited:

Photowyzard

Tami Jo,

Thank you, appreciate the kind words. They are not that fragile. I handle mine like any other lens. However, I think that if you bang it around, you are asking for trouble. I have a padded bag I carry everything in and I am not aggressive with my gear. So, I have had no issues.

If you carry two cameras around your neck, go jumping fences, etc., then you might damage the internals. The mirrors, I am sure, can go out of alignment.

I have not had this problem. They are more rugged than they look, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
When it comes to long range my kit is entirely crippled...135 on a crop camera is all I have. There are times out here in the country side when I am presented with fantastic long range opportunities.

Photowyzard

When it comes to long range my kit is entirely crippled...135 on a crop camera is all I have. There are times out here in the country side when I am presented with fantastic long range opportunities.

As long as you understand that the quality of the image is not stellar and the images will require some PP work after, this is a viable option.

I would recommend going to a store first and trying one out. Most stores will let you hook a lens up to your camera to takes some test shots. You can then go home and analyze them. If you can, I would test one out first to see what you are up against.

I can't stress enough (I am very experienced with this lens), they are not easy to focus, not recommended to hand hold and the results are not as crisp as a prime lens. They are not for everyone, nor are they for every situation.

For best results:
1) Static objects
2) Day time, bright light situations
3) Tripod use
4) Live View or Electronic Range Finder in camera highly recommended
5) where possible, use a remote to trigger the shutter

Tami Jo

Art have you had an opportunity to get out and use this lens a bit more? Do you find you use it at the 500 range or are you using the teleconverter on most shots? What is the IQ comparison with and without the converter?

Photowyzard

Tami Jo,

I have not had much opportunity to use the lens. Mostly because I have my 300mm almost WELDED to my camera. For best IQ, forget the TC. It makes it extremely hard to focus and a tripod is an absolute much if you do.

Make no mistake, this is a tough lens to use and the quality is nothing like a prime lens. I would say, these are the worst lenses for sharpness quality on the market. However, you can nail down a reasonable shot and make it better with post production software after. I have done that with all the images I have posted.

Please make sure you read my commentary thoroughly. If you are up for a challenge, get one real cheap! It is worth about $100 (non Nikon) and you can scrape together a half decent image with it. Not for enlargement, but a decent 4x6.

Tami Jo

So after reviewing further it looks like trying to capture moving objects isn't an easy feat. But for static subjects it daylight it looks like it does well especially considering the price. I just ordered the Nikon 55-300 VR II Lens a few days ago and am waiting it's arrival. That may serve my need for extended focal range but I thought this lens might be kinda fun to try out a bit. I like the shots you have taken with it so I think I will keep it on my list. But perhaps I will opt to pick up a better tripod first. :eek: