Purchasing New Equipment - Recommended Merchants

Tami Jo

In my search to find the best pricing on new equipment I came across this retailer. BuyDig.com - Online Shopping for HDTVs, Digital Cameras, Computers, GPS, and more! has anyone purchased from them? What was your experience? I am very familiar with Amazon and Best Buy basically so I would like to have some other reliable options. There seems to be quite a bit of fluctuating on camera prices and equipment out there in the retail markets. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Phillydog1958

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Tami - I've been a victim on some of the online sellers before. Even though you've reported them to BBB, they usually just change the name of their company. IF the prices are too good to be true, then don't go for it.

If a D7000 is advertised at $850. That is all you might get meaning without the battery charger, battery, LCD cover, etc. and they'll sell you each individual pieces instead of the entire camera. Some substitute the batteries with a generic or 3rd party batteries.

I would get my goodies from Adorama, BH photo and amazon of course. Stick with them and you won't have to bother with other potential companies that tries to rip off people who wants to save by doing false advertisement.

Disclaimer: I am not a paid endorser for these companies.

Tami Jo

They were fairly close in price actually only slightly cheaper so it's probably not worth the possible risk and frustration. I am right now looking at Amazon since I have had the most experience with them. But I have now heard good things about Adorama and BH Photo as well. So before I make my purchase I will compare them as first. I sure appreciate all the helpful advice. It's really hard deciding. I am a bit conflicted at this point. The Nikon D90 (Body Only) has now actually went up in price. The D7000 has dropped a bit(Body Only). Do I stretch my budget and pick up the D7000 instead or do I opt to buy a used D90.....Hmmmmmm

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I am a bit conflicted at this point. The Nikon D90 (Body Only) has now actually went up in price. The D7000 has dropped a bit(Body Only). Do I stretch my budget and pick up the D7000 instead or do I opt to buy a used D90.....Hmmmmmm

The D90 was a great camera during its time.

Comparing an 11 point AF points vs 39 point AF points with 3D tracking is already a big plus in my opinion. The sensor technology is even better.

Not to put any pressure on you, but this is just my take since I've owned and tried a lot of DSLRs from D80, D7000, D700 and now the D800E. So this is just my personal recommendation since I think I qualify to make such suggestion based on my personal experience and not from what I have read from other people's reviews or blogs. I am a little bit more demanding when it comes to performance and overall image quality.

You can check "my gear" on my signature so that you'll have an idea on what I own. I tossed the ones that don't cut it for my taste.

Tami Jo

I really was set on the D90, but then within the last few weeks the price jumped and the drop in price on the D7000 has kind of made that rather appealing. Because if I purchase a new D90 as planned the D7000 is only a 167.00 more at it's current price point. Now if I opt for a used one in mint condition perhaps I could use the difference to get a great lens. The dilemma in which to find oneself in...And here I thought it was going to be an easy decision:eek:

Mestre

I had a D90 for 2 years but when i got a good deal i bought the d7000.

Besides what was written before (AF and sensor) i'd refer the 2 U modes, meaning you can customize a couple settings, the quality of the film (rarely used but it was a nice to have during holidays with family), the body is strongly built, (it resembles the D300, this Is important if you shoot seascapes), and the non-CPU lens menu are features I also believe that make a difference for less than 200$.

Tami Jo

I am leaning towards the D7000 unless I happen to stumble across a really inexpensive D90 . There just is no reason to buy a new D90 with the price drop. The used D90's I've seen are either refurbished or have high shutter acutations. I heard that there has been a new firmware release for the D7000 as well. Has that corrected most of the issues people have been so frustrated about?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I heard that there has been a new firmware release for the D7000 as well. Has that corrected most of the issues people have been so frustrated about?

Which issue is that? I don't recall being frustrated with my D7000. In most cases, it is user error and not the camera. This is what I discovered after using it it for a while. I kept on blaming the camera wherein it was my camera technique was the problem.

Tami Jo

Which issue is that? I don't recall being frustrated with my D7000. In most cases, it is user error and not the camera. This is what I discovered after using it it for a while. I kept on blaming the camera wherein it was my camera technique was the problem.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am racking my brain trying to remember at the moment but I have reviewed so many in the last few weeks they are starting to run together. But I think the main ones were some units were having issues with hot pixels and some focusing issues. Either [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]may be user error or perhaps a faulty unit I think. But the synopsis is that every camera has their little quirks that could be better. Hence the updated models...I think the D7000 is going to be amazing[/FONT]:cool: I know it's going to be a huge learning curve but that's just part of the adventure. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I am racking my brain trying to remember at the moment but I have reviewed so many in the last few weeks they are starting to run together. But I think the main ones were some units were having issues with hot pixels and some focusing issues. Either may be user error or perhaps a faulty unit I think. But the synopsis is that every camera has their little quirks that could be better. Hence the updated models...I think the D7000 is going to be amazing:cool: I know it's going to be a huge learning curve but that's just part of the adventure.

I haven't had any issues with my D7000. I've had it for well, it'll be 2 years in december and I still love it. It produces such nice files and I just love the color depth. You might find there is a slight learning curve, but it's still photography: Measure the light, select a f-stop, open the shutter for a certain amount of time while trying NOT to move and then see what you've captured. The thing you might find is that with the D7000, it's way better not to use too slow shutter speeds until your camera holding technique is better. Usually, at least 1/(focal length x 1.5)sec.

Just get the camera an I'm sure you'll just love it.