Hi everyone!.. I have a dilemma?? Lol

NOKIN15

I've just joined today and I'm in need of some help!..
I'm going to Norway for 2-weeks over Christmas and I'm needing help for the perfect lens for some long-exposures of the aurora-Borealis!...I have a d7000 body and I'm looking at buying the nikkor 14-24 f2.8!.. I know it's mixing a DX-body with a lens more suited for an FX-body. But the reviews I've seen on this lens just blow me away..I also know there's the 16-35 nikkor lens, but they say it's not a good low-light
Lens??.. As I can't Waite for the D600 to arrive, but which I will get when available, is the 14-24 the best option????.. Many thanks for the advice!...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have the 16-35 and am very happy with it. F4 is slower than 2.8, but the sheer size of the 14-24 kept me away from it. There is also the filters consideration. Plus, for the auroras you'll be using a tripod so the f4 over 2.8 would not be a handicap. The 16-35 is also a lot smaller and lighter. Great IQ.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Welcome to Nikonites. Your choice is excellent but much care should be considered with that lens since adding a filter with a spacial adapter from lee will cost you around $600. The lens retains their value very well and if you decide to sell it in the future, it won't loose its value that much. You can probably get a used lens around $1,300. USD.

Marcel's suggestion is a suitable alternative and adding a tripod will get you the best possible exposure regardless of the lighting condition.