Thought weekly challenges are meant to last for ONE WEEK.

Kamesh

I was under the impression that weekly challenges are to last for ONE week, as per Guideline/Rule (1) :

"Each challenge will run for 1 (one) week, beginning on Sunday and ending at 12:00pm (eastern daylight time) on the following Sunday."

The first weekly challenge I participated was from August 5th till 11th, but it lasted over that period and it's almost two weeks that there is no result.

The second weekly challenge, strangely, is from 14th to 26th. If my interpretation of the above rule is right, then in this case, a week consists of 13 days.

There are many experts who keep on shooting and shooting for the love of doing so. But there are also members who are pretty occupied in their professional and personal life and who want to take out the passion once a week.

Somehow, I feel, given the two challenges which I am involved in, it just kills the enthusiasm about participating in a weekly challenge.

There are times, when I was pretty new to the site and trying to explore the better camera and the lens to get. At that time, there were answers that were given to me which I felt are a bit rude. When I can be criticized about such things, I believe, I have the right to point out the lapses in organizing such weekly contests which go way beyond the deadlines. There has to be a deadline to decide a winner after the contest closes, provided the contest also closes within the specified time, which is ONE WEEK.

Just my thoughts!

pedroj

I was under the impression that weekly challenges are to last for ONE week, as per Guideline/Rule (1) :

"Each challenge will run for 1 (one) week, beginning on Sunday and ending at 12:00pm (eastern daylight time) on the following Sunday."

The first weekly challenge I participated was from August 5th till 11th, but it lasted over that period and it's almost two weeks that there is no result.

The second weekly challenge, strangely, is from 14th to 26th. If my interpretation of the above rule is right, then in this case, a week consists of 13 days.

There are many experts who keep on shooting and shooting for the love of doing so. But there are also members who are pretty occupied in their professional and personal life and who want to take out the passion once a week.

Somehow, I feel, given the two challenges which I am involved in, it just kills the enthusiasm about participating in a weekly challenge.

There are times, when I was pretty new to the site and trying to explore the better camera and the lens to get. At that time, there were answers that were given to me which I felt are a bit rude. When I can be criticized about such things, I believe, I have the right to point out the lapses in organizing such weekly contests which go way beyond the deadlines. There has to be a deadline to decide a winner after the contest closes, provided the contest also closes within the specified time, which is ONE WEEK.

Just my thoughts!

I just don't get it you have been given good advice and you say the advice is rude..I've just had a look and the only thing I could see was someone told u 1 post per day in C&C...

Who put the burrs under your saddle...

Kamesh

Did I say that all advises were rude? You are shifting the focus from what I have pointed out. Lets limit the discussion to the weekly challenges :cool:

From my Galaxy S2 (Tapatalk 2)

Kamesh

Well, for a person who is deep into the profession, the talk of a newbie sounds very disturbing. Couple of replies hurt me bad. But, I thankfully got a thick skin.

Leaving that aside, I am a bit surprised how these weekly challenges go.

I have learnt many useful things from this forum and in every sphere/ stage in our life, we would have to play the role of odd one out. I felt that not all are treated alike here. I may be wrong.

The core issue is, everyone has to be organized and stick to the rules, otherwise there is no point in having them in the first place. One weekly challenge is turning to be a month's deal. I was reminded of the rule when I posted few pics at a go in the critique section, but I never felt bad, because I received a valuable suggestion in the same message.

I request you not to further dig into this 'rude' thing and concentrate and deliberate on the core issue. PERIOD!

Regards

Last edited:

ABN Panzer

While I understand what you are getting at, in regards to the weekly challenges being "Weekly".
I also never really saw it more than a 'guideline' in order to not draw things out.

Not having participated in any of them yet: Who initiates the contests? Who moderates the contests? Are they being paid to do this? What is going on their life that may prevent an actual enforcement of the 7 day rule?

Bottom line... you are free to your own opinions... however given a free site with free contests and a moderator that has a job outside this... things are going to come up.

I wouldnt get worked up over it... unless it is a contest that people have paid to participate in.
Did you, by chance, see this thread?
http://nikonites.com/weekly-photo-challenges/7296-attn-members.html#post70352
Where he stated it was going to go until the 26th?

While I wont prolong the rude thing... it was the subject matter of your longest paragraph in your original complaint.... To bring it up then tell others not to mention it is a bit odd.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Kamesh,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have to say you are right concerning the rules. Well maybe we should have changed them for the last challenge.

But just to reassure you,even if sometimes a moderator forgets to close the challenge, the photos taken outside the time limit would not be judged. And sometimes something can happen that would prevent a moderator to close it exactly at the right time. But it would not change the rules.

As far as for this challenge lasting more than a week, this was a decision taken between moderators since it was summer and the participation to the forum in general seemed at the time to be a little quiet.

For the results, the moderator that starts the challenge is responsible for the judging and posting the results. So it can happen that it takes time for him to do so. Don't forget that we all are volunteers and we also have jobs and other occupations. This is not for us a full time thing. So I ask for your forgiveness if things don't happen as fast as you and I would like.

So please try to understand that we are all here to enjoy our cameras and photography in general and we are trying our best to have these challenges to give our membership incentives to be more creative only.

Thanks for understanding, if you have suggestions on procedures, please feel free to submit them and we'll see what can be done about it.

Cheers,

Marcel

Kamesh

My problem with regard to rudeness answered. I hereby withdraw the last para of my post, but one has to be in my shoes as well :)

However, I feel there is some merit in what I shared with regard to weekly contests.

Regards

Last edited:

Kamesh

Thanks Marcel,

I sincerely acknowledge each and every word of what you said.
I think I wouldn't be the one putting any burrs under anyone's saddle (pedroj :p)

Stangman98

Well I will take the blame on this one. Yes it was extended because we have jobs, families, etc that sometimes take presidence over getting a free weekly challenge posted. First off you have to come up with a topic and how the topic should work. Not as easy as one would think. Then there is a process for posting it. Then at the end of the week you have to close it, review all submissions, judge it, post a new thread with the winner.
I typically have house work, photo shoots, drag racing, vacation, or another of 20 different things going on over the weekend so if it isn't done on that day that is why.
The objective is to challenge people, not constrain them. Maybe the challenge timeframe will change. There are a lot of people on her who don't get a chance to shoot everyday. And even if they do they then have to find the subject that fits the challenge. If I post a challenge that is about the sun and it rains and is overcast everyday for a week is that fair to people that live in that area? No. So if that means that the challenge is for two weeks to get more entries (which is exactly what happened) then so be it in my mind.

Kamesh

Dear Stangman,

I pointed out the loophole existing in the format. And do you think I have no family or work?
I have two kids as well, perhaps am not as old as the rest of the folks here. I work in the Country's top most Court, the Supreme Court. Pick out the top court in your country, that's where I work in my country. I am into legal profession. My job takes extra stress, like all of yours. I play Correspondence Chess at various chess servers. This I manage to do remotely, while my computer works 24/7 and i keep a tab through mobile. I also do riding whenever time permits. I do pull out some time to spend with my wife and kids. And most importantly, I never take out my camera to any place during weekdays, that is 6 days for me. The only day I get is Sunday!

I try to manage the shots at my home most of the time during weekdays, like working for 30 minutes with the camera before sleep.

May be my English was such that it gave an impression as if I were blaming a particular person. Perhaps I was too (infact, over) enthusiastic because I got a new toy. Commonsense prevailed over me and then I withdrew the last para. It doesn't mean that I do not have anyone or anything to care about as If I were a kid. I respect others' sentiments and priorities. But, I thought one should point this out, given the example of the weekly challenge from 5th to 11th. When was the result out? only today! Here, i have nothing to blame you. But, there was no hint from you (by making a post) that the results would be delayed due your busy schedule. That could have done the job :)

Nevertheless, I just pointed out something which we can improve. But, please, do not try to single me out for pointing this out. I have to learn a lot of tricks and tips from you guys, for, you are all such wonderful persons with a beautiful eye to capture the greatest shots one can ever witness.

Peace :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Kamesh,

Please consider that myself and Damon (Stangman) have only been moderators for one month. We are still learning the ropes with the format.

Nowhere in the rules does it say that the winners have to be announced in a particular time frame. I can understand that some of you are more impatient than others, but such is life. Believe me, we are just doing our best. As much as it is good to have someone keep us on our toes and do the work, remember that we are volunteers. We are actually discussing the actual "Challenge" format and timeframe.

So Peace be with you my friend.

Kamesh

I agreed and understood that yesterday itself Marcel. I thought of even deleting the thread, but that would mean and indicate I had committed some sin. So, i kept that alive and as i said, at the risk of repetition, commonsense prevailed over me. Well, i have grown up all these years in such way, a little bit impatient and I want to get things which I eye for ASAP. But, having regard to the thread which i created, I regret for asking in such a manner. I could have used some better phrases and terminology.

I really appreciate the way this forum is being handled and I just want to be here as long as I can be and learn and learn with each passing day. I still learn from my 16 months old son and 4 year daughter, as I believe that there is no end to learning. As long as life goes on, it simultaneously goes :)

I render my unconditional apologies for creating this thread.. I sincerely regret! But, somewhere in my heart, I felt that there has also to be a time frame to decide the winner. I am sorry :)